Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe locks up while searching.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

I was searching for something that appeared in a system error, event ID 7026. The event said - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: IDSxpx86.
I did a dearch for IDSxpx86 with system folders and hidden files checked. I tried searching for other things and if I have the advanced search criteria checked, it always freezes and I have to restart explorer.exe to get the system working again.

Anyone encountered this before? I have indexing turned off in case that matters.

EDIT: Now I see that it freezes up no matter what search criteria are checked. Most times it finishes the search before it freezes. It does not log an event either.

Edited by RknRusty, 21 March 2009 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

The explorer lockup had nothing to do with the file I was searching for, and I've had no more of those events flagged. But explorer does lock up any time I try to run a search. I can still get to process explorer with ctrl-alt-del and restart explorer.exe, and all seems to be well until I try to search again. Like I said above, indexing is off.

I've googled and found others with similar problems, but no solutions other than those related to indexing.

Anyone have a clue?

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

Problem solved. It was apparently a corrupt context menu handler. I had read that context menu handlers can cause explorer lockups, so I looked over some programs that I had installed during the past week, including Malwarebytes. MB had an error the first time I tried to install it, and then it installed fine when I tried again after rebooting. That was a few days ago. And it did have a context menu entry, so I uninstalled it tonight.

After uninstalling, the search worked fine with no glitches. I re-installed MB, rebooted, and all is still well.
I also uninstalled some junk that came with an iTunes upgrade, but none of them had any context menu entries that I noticed. They were Apple Upgrade, Bonjour, and some other one for mobile devices. I had their startups all disabled anyway, so I don't think they had anything to do with it.

Thanks for your help, Rusty. You're a genius. :>

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

I spoke too soon. I had to search for a file today and explorer locked up. Since I had suspected Malwarebytes, I uninstalled it again, but after re-boot it still will run a complete search, display the results and in about 2 or 3 seconds the explorer window will lock up. The only thing you can do is cntrl-alt-del and restart explorer.exe. Once I had to use the power button and a quick punch did a normal shutdown.

Is it likely to be a corrupt context menu handler, or might I be way off base?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users