Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HUGE file appeared in C drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jonny_79144

jonny_79144

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

I hope I'm ok to post this here.

A huge file that I haven't seen before has appeared in my C drive. It is called "DDGPPFZFZGOZARIL" and is 10.8Gb. It was created 2 days ago on March 19th at 01:47:20 A.M, when I was up late sorting out the PC, which was refusing to download windows updates.

Here is a snippet of my event log:

System > Event properties: Source - service control manager; category - none; event ID - 7036. The windows installer service entered the stopped state.

I will be happy to provide a HJT log etc if necessary.

One more thing, when I tried to open the file with internet explorer, nothing happened, but the PC became much slower. I went to restart and I recieved the msg "End program - file download" as the computer had to stop a download before it restarted, though I had nothing else downloading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

GOZARIL is an antipsychotic medication among other words in foreign languages. Have you scanned it? What were you doing to sort out?
Also, never click on an unknown file in explorer. If you know the application then open with that, but this file has no extension. The fact that the computer slowed down sounds a little creepy. Did you look at your processes after clicking it to see what was running?

#3 jonny_79144

jonny_79144
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

I have scanned the file with malwarebytes and it seems fine. The online file scanners wont scan such a big file. I would really appreciate professional help as my PC is now very close to running out of space.

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

Sorry, I misread when you said you tried to open it with Internet Explorer. I mistakenly thought you meant Windows Explorer; thus my advice about opening strange files.

Did it ever sucessfully download the Windows updates? I don't think this file has anything to do with the updates, but if a file that size was coming in at the time you were trying to get updates, that could be what was preventing it.
All I know to do is to rename it for a few days or weeks and see if anything doesn't work right. If all is well, delete it. Or upload it to a web based data backup service so you'll have it if you need it. You could try to compress it, but if it was me, I'd rather not tinker with it.

Other than movies, I know of no files that size, and that would be even big for a movie.

The advice I offer is that of an advanced user, not an expert on computers or even XP.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hi, try this first.

Go to Start then RUN box and type in: Services.msc
Press enter and when the Services window opens up, Maximize it.
Scroll down the list to "Windows Installer" and right click it.
Select Properties. It should be set to "Automatic"..... if not change it to Automatic and then START it.
Apply the change, if you changed anything and close out of the program.
Reboot to allow the change.

Try Updates again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users