Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\windows\system32\SsiEfr.exe is referenced as a shared DLL & doesn't exist

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

I think I have a virus, spyware or a trojen working in the background.
I'm running a Dell Dimension 4600i Windows XP SP2. 4GB of ram 80Gb "C" drive 250gb "G" drive
I'm runnung Vipre & Ad-Aware, & Uniblue RegistryBooster2
Last week when turning on the computer the desktop did not load the icons, & took very very long to finally load when it did clicking on the internet took 20 minutes & everything has run very slow since, the USB connected HP printer is NOT being recognized or the USB bluetooth wireless keyboard & mouse. I have ran all virus scans from Mcafee & Spysweeper & have since uninstalled both. Then ordered & installed the Vipre & kept the Ad-Aware. I've ran the Boot scans from the Dell start up screen & it did not seem to help or find anything, but I still believe something is not working. Everything is still running very slow & takes so long to open.
The latest scan from Vipre found the following:
ERROR C:\windows\system32\SsiEfr.exe is referenced as a shared DLL & doesn't exist. They are often left behind after uninstalling software Delete the registry value.
I have read through a few forums & have not seen an exact fix for my situation, but have seen a few things that may help. I wanted to get an expert opinion first in what should be done next. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

ERROR C:\windows\system32\SsiEfr.exe is an orphaned registry entry leftover from SpySweeper
Download Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Look for the entry and remove it

Morew discussion here:
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11197

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6553
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

I downloaded autoruns & ran it. The entry was not located and can not be removed.
I realized that I found the Error while using ccleaner.
C:\windows\system32\SsiEfr.exe is referenced as a shared DLL & doesn't exist. was found while running ccleaners registry cleaner.
I'm still having issues.
Links in web sites do not load you have to copy and past links in the address bar. scans take way to long I ran a superantispyware scan last night for 15 hours & found nothing yet my computer is still acting strange.

What now?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

THEN

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

Ok, I ran ATF Cleaner. No problem, it seems to run fine.
Ok, I ran Malwarebytes yesterday 03-22-09 at 4:19 pm it lasted an hour, & here is the copy & paste from yesterday.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1883
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

3/22/2009 5:17:45 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-22 (17-17-45).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 83413
Time elapsed: 51 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 6
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\RegistrySmart (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\c:\program files\registrysmart\ (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\c:\program files\registrysmart\microsoft.vc80.mfc\ (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\c:\program files\registrysmart\microsoft.vc80.crt\ (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\RegistrySmart (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\RegistrySmart\Microsoft.VC80.CRT (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\RegistrySmart\Microsoft.VC80.MFC (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Log (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Registry Backups (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Log\2007 Aug 06 - 06_19_42 PM_421.log (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Log\2007 Aug 06 - 06_19_44 PM_937.log (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Log\2007 Aug 07 - 05_57_07 PM_406.log (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Log\2007 Aug 07 - 05_57_21 PM_703.log (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Registry Backups\2007-08-06_18-22-08.reg (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Then I ran Malwarebytes again like you said today 03-23-09 here is the copy & paste from today.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1890
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

3/23/2009 6:32:10 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-23 (18-32-10).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 83067
Time elapsed: 55 minute(s), 37 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I looks like everything is ok, but still I am having some issues.
I still can not print or use my USB wireless keyboard or mouse.
When starting the computer it takes 20 minutes to load everything.
When you type a name in the address bar you need to hit enter 3,4,5 times or more before it even thinks about loading that page. When you click on a desktop icon sometimes it takes 2 to 5 minutes to open.

Maybe it is mad at me for thinking of turning this DELL into an anchor & building a real computer...

After this first started I ordered VIPRE & uninstalled SPYSWEEPER, NORTON, & MCAFEE, thinking they were all conflicting with each other. Is there a chance one of the uninstalls went wrong? I was unable to do the uninstall from windows, the add remove programs would not populate & show what was on the computer so I used the uninstall from CCLEANER. I also tried to do a system restore about 3 different times to 3 different dates dating back to Jan 2009 & it would not restore.

I've been reading in the forums for days now trying to learn as much as possible.

So, here we are...

Thanks so much for all the help, What next?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

Add/Remove not populating was probably because of the infection. I'm not a big fan of Ccleaner, I've used Revo uninstaler which is similar. You have to be careful with those.
Both Norton and McAfee have removal tools:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Open your Device Manager and click on all of the +'s. Let me know if you see any yellow exclamation points and what they are by

Also try a different scan:
----------------------------

Please download Dr.Web CureIt, the free version & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

Mark
Posted Image

#7 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

Does the F8 method work to start a "Dell" in safe mode or is it F12 ???
Either way I try it in a little while.

Thanks so much again.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Yes
F8
Mark
Posted Image

#9 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

I used the Norton removal tool like you said it seemed to work fine. Then rebooted.
I used the Mcafee removal tool & had some issues, i'll have to post the results when I return to my computer. Then rebooted.
I downloaded Dr.Web CureIt
Booted the "Dell Computer" into Safe Mode & ran the Express scan in Dr.Web CureIt, No problems were found. Boo...
Then proceeded to run the Complete scan in Dr.Web CureIt ... After 9 hours of scanning it was still running, but it looked like it had found some Trojans, Yea this time...
I'll check it & post all results from Mcafee & Dr.Web CureIt after the reboot.

Thanks again
we're making progress.

#10 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

Also: On the Device Manager after clicking on all the +'s There were NO Yellow exclamation points.

#11 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

Results from Mcafee removal tool are:
The whole post was to large, so ive reduced the results

MCAFEE CLEANUP
March 24, 2009 19:44:50
INFO Cleanup will be scheduled and run.
INFO Product mpfpcu to be removed from system.
INFO Product mpfp to be removed from system.
INFO Product mps to be removed from system.
INFO Product shred to be removed from system.
INFO Product mpscu to be removed from system.
INFO Product mskcu to be removed from system.
INFO Product msk to be removed from system.
INFO Product emproxy to be removed from system.
INFO Product mas to be removed from system.
INFO Product fwdriver to be removed from system.
INFO Product hw to be removed from system.
INFO Product mbk to be removed from system.
INFO Product mcproxy to be removed from system.
INFO Product mhn to be removed from system.
INFO Product mqccu to be removed from system.
INFO Product mqc to be removed from system.
INFO Product shrd to be removed from system.
INFO Product nmc to be removed from system.
INFO Product redir to be removed from system.
INFO Product mna to be removed from system.
INFO Product mwl to be removed from system.
INFO Product msad to be removed from system.
INFO Product vs to be removed from system.
INFO Product msc to be removed from system.
INFO Product mcpr to be removed from system.
INFO Task Scheduler service started.

MCAFEE CLEANUP

INFO Disabling VS status with Window Security Center
WINERR ITaskScheduler::Activate() failed. Error: 0x80070020
WINERR ITaskScheduler::Delete() failed. Error: 0x80070020
FAIL Error while running cleanup using Task Scheduler.

RESULTS FROM DR.WEB ARE AS FOLLOWS:

RegUBP2b-Dsimmons.reg;C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;
TivoDesktop.exe\data005;C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\TivoDesktop.exe;Trojan.LydraSpy.origin;;
TivoDesktop.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents;Container contains infected objects;Moved.;
SDFix.exe\SDFix\apps\Process.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Desktop\SDFix.exe;Tool.Prockill;;
SDFix.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Dsimmons\Desktop;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
delfolder.exe;C:\Program Files\DellSupport\GTCoach;Trojan.MulDrop.30652;Deleted.;
A0175919.reg;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP1683;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;
A0176594.reg;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP1684;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;
A0177409.reg;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP1684;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;
A0177410.exe\SDFix\apps\Process.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP1684\A0177410.exe;Tool.Prockill;;
A0177410.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP1684;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0177411.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP1684;Trojan.MulDrop.30652;Deleted.;

Also: after checking the Device Manager again today still no yellow exclamation points.

Yet before boot up i plugged in the usb wireless keyboard & mouse to see if it would work, no it does not work, so i have to shut down, plug in the wired keyboard & reboot.

The computer is still running very, very slow.
When you close an open window, sometimes all icons on the desktop reset. Tivo Service Beacon will not load.

So i'm still having some issues, what next?

Thanks again

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

I'm running out of ideas and wasting your time making more suggestions with out showing much improvement
I believe you should wxplore these Two options Post a HJT log or re-install

Option 1
If you want to give removal of the infection a try, please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

------------------------------------------------

Option 2
Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

In case you need help with this, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr) or autorun (.ini) files because they may be infected by malwareware appending itself to the executable. Some types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you look closely at the full file name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

Note: If your using an IBM, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it.

If you need additional assistance with reformatting, you can start a new topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum.

Edited by garmanma, 27 March 2009 - 01:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#13 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

I understand.
Thank you, Thank you for all your assistance. I'm a little smarter than last week on computer issues.
I have to say I've learned quite a bit from all you help & all the reading in the Forums.
I will crack on with your advise & see where i can get, I'm getting close I can feel it...
I was worried about someone stealing private information from my computer, with what my issues have been, do you think it is possible that someone has or could?

Thanks again

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

I was worried about someone stealing private information from my computer, with what my issues have been, do you think it is possible that someone has or could?

It's a concern and you have a right to be cautious. Getting it taken care of as soon as possible lessens the threat tremendously
I believe you will be OK
Mark
Posted Image

#15 jackswoodcrafts

jackswoodcrafts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Just an updated FYI...
I've read more on the forums about cleaning up the start up programs, cleaning up the "C" drive from unwanted programs, photos, etc. and made some improvement.

Also: I was a little concerned last night about this Conficker Virus & decided to unplug the computer and everything on the powerstrip, including router, printer, etc.

Well after 12 hours of OFF time, after restarting, EVERYTHING seems to work again, as if it were new. Fast start, fast loading of desktop icons, printer, & wireless USB keyboard & mouse also working again.

I should have remembered, to just go back to the basics sometimes & unplug everything, especially after doing all of those scans, & malware removals.
Well It worked.

Thanks again for all your help, I could not have done it alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users