Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task manager crash Vista

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nate42nd

nate42nd

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

When I push the "show processes from all users" button in Vista x64 4 GB ram the task manager just goes away. But the odd thing is, every 2-3 times, it works. I am the admin, Vista was pre-installed and I have tried everything I can think to try except MS debugger (which I have downloaded) I just really don't know how to use it. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Have you tried some debugging tools?

#3 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thank you for the reply. No. I was hoping there was an alternative. I have never used debugger before. I have downloaded the correct one....I just have not installed it yet. I'm hoping there is something I've overlooked. Do you think debugger is what I need to do? I didn't really understand the instructions for the debugger.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

I thought the debugger was easy to use, but there are other tools to help solve this problem. The debugger, as I have heard is the best solution.

Action: Please get Event IDs to help solve this problem. Do you know how to do this?

#5 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

Well thank you so much Jay. I will try to use the debugging program and see what I get. I know where to get the event from the event veiwer. I will do some reading and get started. Thanks again for the suggestion.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

The debugger will only work if you have .dmp or .mdmp files to analyze.
The event viewer is the best place to start with issues of this sort. What do the Windows Logs...System and Application log files show at the times you try this?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

I tried to find something in the event viewer. I could not find anything. I will look again if you think it may be there. I looked at them at the time it last happened and could find nothing. I will see if I can find a specific instance and maybe it will help you help me. Thanks. I'll try to do it now.

This is a weird one. I just tried it 3 times and (for the 1st time in a while) it worked all 3 times.

Okay...I just tried it. There is nothing for 2 hours in the windows > system or application logs. Is that normal?

Edited by nate42nd, 22 March 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

Have you scanned for viruses? If not, here's some free, online scans: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Yes, I have Avast and also scan with Malwarebytes and SpyBot each every week. I am very cautious. I am 98.7% sure it's not any virus or malware. That's why it's so strange. I have read what I can find (not much) on the different resources on the net. I only found one situation like this on another forum. It was never resolved and it was from about a year ago. I have checked the MS forums with no help. I can get by because it works every 2-3 times. I think from what I've read that it may have something to do with memory or maybe even UAC. If I have to use debugger....I will but need to try everything else first. It's one of those things that just bug a geek. A geek wants to know what is causing it. haha.

If you were referring to an online scan....yes ....I tried the Trend Micro house call. Have used it for years too. I disable avast and do the scan. It comes up clean.

I have been looking through the event viewer - applications and services - Microsoft - Windows. I looked through every one and saw nothing with anything to do with this problem.

I have no other problems with this system. Vista x64 - 4GB ram. It's very stable.

Edited by nate42nd, 22 March 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

If it's not generating an error, then it's not a problem (according to Windows).
Have you tried to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog?

#11 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

I don't think I have tried that. With the nature of the problem, I have a feeling it will be hard to nail down since it works every 2-3 tries but I know it's possible. I can look this command and see what it does. Sounds like you would recommend it. Are those two different commands? I am not familiar with SFC.EXE. I can do some research on it. Thanks.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

SFC.EXE is the System File Checker utility built into Windows. It checks all of the "protected" Windows files to see if there's any problem with them (or their versioning). There's more on it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

#13 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

Okay so just run this from the run dialog and it will create a log? I will post back and try to let you know what happens. Thanks so much for all the help. I am very grateful. I know it's not the biggest problem but as I said....us geeks just have to know. haha. I will get a chance to try it tonight or tomorrow and post back to give you the results.

I read this page. My OS "Vista Home Premium x64" is not listed here. I assume it is just because of some of the details. It will still work right?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

I got you tutorial here...I will follow it. Thanks.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Edited by nate42nd, 22 March 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

This doesn't affect SFC.EXE - which is present in all versions of Vista.

#15 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

I tried SFC.EXE /SCANNOW. It did not show anything wrong. It just ran and disappeared. That's a good thing. Thanks for the idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users