Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hello everyone!

I had an error message pop up while McAfee was doing an automatic update of my security programs. It read as follows: "An error occurred while updating. Please reinstall these programs: McAfee Security Center" This happened on Thursday night. But there is another problem, I do not know if it is related or not to the failed update. The other problem is: While doing the updates, in the toolbar where the update symbol is located during updating, When I move the cursor over the update symbol to see the progress of the update, it shows only 0% progress. But then when the download completes it shows completed. Normally it should show the % completed in increasing % until completed.

I went to McAfee.com and asked them about the problem. The tech that was helping me accessed my computer to see what he could find out. Well he said that a squared free, Super Anti-Spyware free, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Spybot S&D, and Spywareblaster was interfering with the McAfee program and that I had to uninstall them. So I did as I was told to and uninstalled them all. During the process of uninstalling them the one program had said that "they and McAfee could not recreate a situation where the 2 programs interfered and called it "trying to eliminate the competition""

After doing all that McAfee asked me to do, I still have the problem of only showing " Downloading o% complete " during updating, when I move the cursor over the updating symbol in the toolbar. So I know the other anti-malware, anti-virus, anti-spyware did not interfere too much if at all with the McAfee program.

So my 2 questions are:
1) What could be causing the problem with the symbol in the toolbar? and With the McAfee program itself?

2) Should I reinstall the other Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus programs? I do feel safer having them there, but will they interfere with the McAfee program like the McAfee tech said or was he giving me a load of BS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

should I reinstall the other Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus programs

You should only use one Anti-Virus program
That being said, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Spybot S&D, and Spywareblaster work well with AV programs
I think what might be the problem is if you use Spybot's Teatimer function
That might interfere with your download. You can disable it
You did not mention a firewall. Do you use one?

Edited by garmanma, 21 March 2009 - 09:49 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

Hello garmanma!

Yes I do have a firewall, it is in with the McAfee suite that came with my computer and also I have one that is part of Windows Vista. But I only use the one that is with the McAfee suite.

That is another problem my computer has. Windows no longer recognized those Anti-Malware, Anti-spy ware programs that I had had installed nor does it recognize the McAfee suite programs. The problem with that, is the WMI is somehow fouled up.

How can I make sure those other programs are totally uninstalled? Also should I reinstall them again to help keep the bad things off my computer?

I know it was not those programs that caused the problem. Because it happened again earlier Saturday. I got that same error message again. I will have to contact McAfee again and see what they have to say.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

That is another problem my computer has. Windows no longer recognized those Anti-Malware, Anti-spy ware programs that I had had installed nor does it recognize the McAfee suite programs. The problem with that, is the WMI is somehow fouled up.

That could be the sign of a possible infection

How can I make sure those other programs are totally uninstalled?

Using Add/Remove Programs should do the trick

should I reinstall them again to help keep the bad things off my computer?

You have the suite whice should contain a real time malware scanner. This could conflict with other real time scanners such as Spybot's Teatimer

Instead of putzing around with McAfee's support, why not post in Am I Infected to see if you are?:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

Hello garmanma!

Twice today, once in the very early hours of the am and once in the early afternoon, I got that error message again while the update was going on. But now tonight after the updater ran it asked me to restart my computer and so I did. When I restarted my computer, the alert boxes that pop up to let you know when something is happening, they were totally different. So I checked the McAfee Security Center. I checked to see what the dates were, for the most recent updated version of each of the programs. Well everything is up to date except one item and that had January 29,2009 as the most recent update. So I presume everything is up to date.

Could this newer updated version have caused this little blip? Or Could this somehow be connected to my problem with the Windows Management Instrumentation or WMI? The reason I ask is with the WMI on the fritz, Windows Security Center does not recognize any of the Anti-malware, Anti-spy ware, or Anti-Virus programs installed on my computer. Or could there be an infection of some sort on my computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users