Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TerenceM

TerenceM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

I am having problems with my keyboard, some letter keys do not work all the time. I have tried cleaning the keyboard, plugging it into another USB port and rebooting but the problem remains. To try and show what I mean, I will type the alphabet and the missing letters are the keys that do not work:
A B C D E G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z.

The keyboard is a Dell model SK 8135.

Also, I have to switch my monitor on several times to get it to work, it is an AMW lcd monitor.

I read a tutorial here on BC and thought the two problems maybe connected somehow by a driver problem so I downloaded DriverChecker and it reported 16 drivers were not working. I double checked with Secunia PSI and my Secunia score is 100%.

Now I'm lost, time to get a new keyboard and monitior?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

I downloaded DriverChecker and it reported 16 drivers were not working.

Let's think that one through... are there 16 things not working on your computer? :thumbsup:

Individual keyboard keys not working is usually in the keyboard itself. Check by trying the keyboard on another computer, or another keyboard on yours. If the F and J keys don't work when using the keyboard on a second computer, or a borrowed keyboard works normally on your computer, replace the keyboard.

LCD monitors having difficulty powering up is commonly a problem with bad capacitors in the monitor's power supply. Unplug the signal cable from the computer to the monitor, and if the monitor has the same difficulty switching on when it is not connected to the computer, the fault is within the monitor. If this proves to be the situation, it may not be technically difficult to fix, but the cost of getting it repaired professionally might not be attractive compared with the cost of a replacement monitor.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 TerenceM

TerenceM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

Thank you Platypus.
I will try my keyboard on another computer later today.
I have decided to buy a new monitor as the one I have is 4 years old and a bigger screen with a higher resolution would be cool.
Regards,
TerenceM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users