Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts + Freezes / Loses Power (Hard Drive / PSU Failure?)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 harry569

harry569

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

Basically for a while now, my computer has been a bit dodgy. I've reformatted it a few times to give it a little extra live if you will, but now it finally seems to off chuffed up.

More and more frequently up until now, its been doing this very strange sequence of things.

Sometimes it will just freeze (often when playing any games or watching dvd's)

Other times it will randomly restart (also while playing, etc).

More and more frequently, it seems to do this thing were everything loses power, then it freezes or restarts i.e

Sounds dissapears, few seconds / minutes later, keyboard and mouse cut out, then computer freezes and restarts or just hangs.

Most of the time just restarting fixed this for a few hours / days, but today I turn it on and I get the BSOD every time it loads up the Windows screen.

Message says

"SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"

It sounded at first from all the symptons to me like a graphics card problem (overheating!), but i've checked and both my geraphics cards are fine.

I believe its some kind of Hard drive problem, as it frequently tells me I have to do that SCKdisk check thing before I can load windows, and it always says things about Deleting data and retrieving uncorrupted files or something.

Any ideas what the direct problem is ? and how I should go about fixing this ? I'm pretty sure money will be involved as I think I need a new hard drive ?

System specs

Windows XP Home
2GB DDR Ram
2 x 7800GT Nvidia
Asus SLI Motherboard (No idea what it is I can find out if you want)
Maxtor SATA 250GB Hard Drive
650W PSU (Old and I think it might be failing / dying)

*NB: Also, for some reason occasionly my computer makes a loud whirring sound like somethings vibrating inside, soundsl ike the hard drive to me but I really haven't got a clue whats going on.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users