Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aztec73

aztec73

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:57 AM

I have just tried to reformat my Acer5610. I thought I had followed the instructions but I now have a problem
When I start my laptop I now get a black screen saying 'Choose which operating system to start' and both options are Windows XP.
I don't know a lot about computers but this suggests to me that I somehow didn't delete the other xp installation when I reformatted.
How do I get over this? Reformat again? (if someone tells me where I went wrong last time!)
Or is there a way to delete one of these?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

Normally, if you end up with two copies, the newly installed one will be called Windows(1) or something similar, they won't both have the same name.

Will one of them boot up for you? See if you can select on using the arrows and if so, allow it to continue. If that one doesn't work, try the other one the next time. Make a note of whether either works and what happens.

If you can get one to boot up, go to C:\ and look for the boot.ini file. Right-click on it and select open. Copy the contents here.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Do you have a partitioned harddisk? Maybe you just formatted one partition, and installed windows there, while the old windows was on the other partition.
I would boot from XP CD, and where it let you choose where to install the new XP, delete all the partitions, create new ones and format them (the setup will tell you how to do that), you can choose there how large your partition must be.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users