Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - vbzip10.dll

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Danmmack

Danmmack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

I think this file (vbzip10.dll) is causing problems with my computer..

I.e. Internet explorer not working, limewire mind of its own, etc

I've tried deleting but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hello.

Yes that is indeed a infected files, however that file cannot be executed. Having that file itself without anything else is not dangerous, but there are probably other things involved. This infection is a worm and is installed via peer-to-peer shared folders. I believe you use p2p programs?

This one is also considered a backdoor since it has functionality to connect to the internet and communicate with file sharing websites using HTTP.

You may wish to format now.

Posted ImageBackdoor Threat

IMPORTANT NOTE: Unfortunatly One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do. If you want to continue it would be best if you start a topic in the HJT-Malware Removal forum.

1st Step: Preparation Guide Before Starting a Topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
2nd Step: Starting a Topic in the HJT-Malware Removal forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Good Luck!

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Danmmack

Danmmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:05 AM

Hi Guys

I think this file (vbzip10.dll) is causing problems with my computer..

I.e. Internet explorer not working, limewire mind of its own, etc

I've tried deleting but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks

Edited by garmanma, 21 March 2009 - 08:16 AM.
Duplicate

#4 Danmmack

Danmmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

I'd like to try and clean it if possible and take it from there.

I've started a new thread in HJT-Malware Removal forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic212732.html)

Thanks again

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hello.

Glad you started another topic however, you did not read my first step did you?

Please read the Preparation Guide Before Starting a Topic and then start another topic..

I will let a MOD know and merge that topic here, since a log was not posted.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

Hello.

I just looked at that thread and you said you have no internet connection, then I believe you are posting this reply elsewhere? If that is the case, I suggest you download the tool needed on to a flash-drive but preferably a CD and transfer it over to your infected machine and run it.

If you are going to use a flash-drive it would be good it autorun is disabled on your infected machine, if not that is okay just run flash-drive disinfector tool below.

Please disable Autorun asap!.

Download and Run FlashDisinfector
  • Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden file named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

With Regards,
extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users