Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message when starting IE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

Hello,

I received this error message when I opened IE, and I got it again when I opened another IE window. What does it mean? Do I need to do anything to fix it?

http://i40.tinypic.com/mkkbae.jpg

Thanks!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

I think the fault is likely caused by SwagBucks, which uses the Prodege toolbar (the .DLL reporting the error). To confirm this, you could un-install the SwagBucks toolbar, and see if the error goes away. If it does, and you really don't mind the toolbar reporting your surfing activities, you can re-install it, hopefully without the error.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

Thanks Platypus! I unistalled the toolbar, and then I restarted my computer and opened IE. This time I did not get an error message. I would like to reinstall the toolbar now, but before I do I have a question about something you said. You mentioned my surfing being reported. Who does Swagbucks report my surfing habits to? Is there an issue with this do you think? I mean, can they do anything with the info? Also, if I reinstall the toolbar again and get the same error messge, what does the error message actually mean? Would there be a way to fix it and still have the toolbar?

Thanks again!
Michele :thumbsup:

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying, my phone, and therefore ADSL, connection went out for a couple of days.

My comment was partly to clarify that I was cautious about advising you to re-install a toolbar that may or may not be causing you a problem.

To fulfil its purpose, such a toolbar must at least report your qualifying on-line activities to the provider. Whenever we use such a facility, we take it on trust that the information gleaned will not be used for any other purpose without our consent, and neither will any more information than we have given our consent for be gathered.

The swagbucks privacy policy appears here:

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-privacy

and when you signed up, you should have been presented with an agreement regarding what you were agreeing to in order to use the facility.

At this stage, it's difficult to say what would be the cause if the re-installed search bar showed the same error. If it was just a quirk of the first installation, the re-installed toolbar might work normally.

Edited by Platypus, 26 March 2009 - 07:55 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users