Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

could you build your own consol not an copyright one like ps1 but a completely new consol with its own software and its own games

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 i am not known

i am not known

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

hi
for those who didn't see the end of my question
could you build your own consol not an copyright one like ps1 but a completely new consol with its own software and its own games.

anyway i was wondering if you had programming skills and an old consol could you delete all files on it and with your
own software make a new one with its own games and its own format style i understand it would be extremly difficult but in theary could it be done.

and could you just build one yourself from scratch using simple to buy parts.

sorry i am sure this is in the wrong place please move it please.

thankyou for your time (hope i am not breaking another rule).

Edited by i am not known, 21 March 2009 - 01:56 AM.

I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Anything is possible. All a video game console is is a highly specialized computer.

You could, for example, take an old desktop, install a free OS like Linux (unless you want to build your own OS, in which case I'll see you in a decade or so!). They also have controller to USB adaptors for various console controllers. (See: http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/USB_Adapters )

The biggest difficulty would be in getting games. Unless you created your own you'd have to find a way to run proprietary games on your custom console (assuming you won't be using an existing console emulator). This might involve reverese engineering on the games which could be considered a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act or similar statutes in whichever country you're in.

#3 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

so basicly i could take an xbox format the xbox halve of things and install a free OS such as linux
do you know a website that shows you all the parts inside a consol like xbox or playstaintion
then simply make games that will work (why did i say simply this would be the hardest part)

and by what i have heard this wont be agenst the law but will void the warrenty
and then add ps1 controlers or something like that

(sounds like a lot of work)

thank you

Edited by i am not known, 21 March 2009 - 06:10 PM.

I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

ive seen people install and run linux on an xbox, and then play games via an emulator. the primary reason most people do this is so they can cheat and hack though, and im not sure why people would really want to. You can run emulators on computers and do stuff like that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:43 AM

i see what you mean but i don't want to do that. Im just board and enjoy building things. does anyone know a site that tells you what you need to build a consol a.k.a. graphics, ram anything because i have neaver had any experience with consols only computers or as amazing andrew said i could make one out of a computer but how would i install an os of that not a computer like my own os doubt i would be able to make one but could mayby get one free one like linux but not a computer

kind of hard to explain ps not good at gramma sorry

Edited by i am not known, 22 March 2009 - 12:44 AM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

Found this: http://www.xgamestation.com/ Never tried anything like this myself so I can't vouch for the quality or veracity of this website, but it seems to be what you're looking for.

#7 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:59 AM

Found this: http://www.xgamestation.com/ Never tried anything like this myself so I can't vouch for the quality or veracity of this website, but it seems to be what you're looking for.

thanks for the web site

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

you know I had a friend once who loaded up Linux onto a xbox game console, and then installed an exbox emulator on it, I asked him what the point of doing that was, and he said he did it cuz this way he could use it as a computer and as a game console, but in reality, I think he just did it cuz he could. he was a geek that way. :D lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 Guest_MissyDog_*

Guest_MissyDog_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

If you couldn't do it how would the NinToaster have come about?

Clarification: the NinToaster is a fully functioning toaster that will play NES game cartridges

#10 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

I'm still a fan of the guy who turned his NES into a computer that plays ROMs. (Which is legal, as long as you own the carts, of course.)

However, they have come out with a generic console that plays NES and SNES carts now, for a modest price. You don't have to mod anymore, to enjoy your old games.

#11 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

Well, a console is basically just a computer. If you wanted to make a console, just build a computer :thumbsup:

#12 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

I'm still a fan of the guy who turned his NES into a computer that plays ROMs. (Which is legal, as long as you own the carts, of course.

Actually, even if you do own the original cartridge, it's still illegal to download a ROM for it.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#13 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:00 AM

If you couldn't do it how would the NinToaster have come about?

Clarification: the NinToaster is a fully functioning toaster that will play NES game cartridges

ok now that is funny

#14 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:04 AM

Well, a console is basically just a computer. If you wanted to make a console, just build a computer :thumbsup:

yes but how would one get the os on there could you really install ps2 on a computer (not saying i would want to i have ps2 computer is 100 times better but in theroy could someone install a consol on a computer not trying to break the law and even if i did i wouldn't know how) what i mean is a custom os like a stick figure or something

#15 Guest_MissyDog_*

Guest_MissyDog_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

yes but how would one get the os on there could you really install ps2 on a computer (not saying i would want to i have ps2 computer is 100 times better but in theroy could someone install a consol on a computer not trying to break the law and even if i did i wouldn't know how) what i mean is a custom os like a stick figure or something

of course it is possible to create a custom OS....how else would MAC and Linux have come around...and don't forget the all powerful Lindows :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users