Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

Presently I am using Pentium D 915 processor & my motherboard is ATI Socket RC 410(FSB 800MHz), Power supply-350W. Can I replace my present CPU with Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU- as both use LGA 775 socket? If the answer is NO then please mention which parts should I upgrade to use this? Waiting for reply. :thumbsup:
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

Who made your motherboard and what is its model? The processor may work since it uses the same socket, but we should check with your motherboard manufacturer just to make sure. In the event the CPU is not supported, you would need to replace the motherboard, CPU (your new E8500), and possibily your RAM.

3939.png

#3 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Sorry for my belated answer. I really don't know the manufacturer of my motherboard, because I am using Compaq Presario SR1933IL desktop system- not a assembled one. My product specification book only mention that my motherboard is ATI Socket RC410 & FSB is 800MHz. But for your information I ran CPU Z utility and it reports that it is made by ECS & Model- Asterope3. That is all I know about my motherboard. :thumbsup:
NB- Presently I am using 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM(64 MB shared for onboard graphics)

Edited by raj29, 21 March 2009 - 11:06 AM.

I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Matches what I found for the RC410 specs:
Socket: 775
Supports the following processors:
Pentium D 9xx Dual Core
Pentium D 8xx series Dual Core
Pentium 4 6x1 series
Pentium 4 6xx
Pentium 4 5xx
Celeron D

It is a limitation of the chipset.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

From what is listed here, you cannot use the CPU you wanted and your upgrade options are severely limited. If you're really wanting to use that CPU, you would need to purchase a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Also, given the Windows license restrictions, replacing the motherboard with an entirely different one may violate the EULA.

3939.png

#6 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

:thumbsup: Oops! very expensive upgrade. But I have no other way, so I have to replace my current CPU by any cost. But the EULA is very disturbing here, because everyone may want to upgrade their present system, so, there must be some way to upgrade without violating EULA. Is it possible to purchase a new version of Windows every time I change my motherboard?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

You can replace the motherboard in the Compaq without violating the EULA.
When the OS is reinstalled if it is XP/Vista it more then likely won't activate online.
You will have to activate by phone.
Tell MS the computer was repaired, the OS reinstalled, & it won't activate online.
MS will ask for the "key" off of the COA .
They will give you a long alphanumerical code to enter
If the OS matches the COA, XP Home, XP Pro , it will activate with the code.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thank you very much fairjoeblue. I will follow your advice :thumbsup:

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

You might want to open it up & check the front panel connections.
On most HP/Compaq computers the front panel connector is a 1 piece deal that only fits the proprietary HP/Compaq motherboards.

I have done a lot of upgrades in HP/Compaq cases.
If you happen to have a source of "standard" front panel connectors using a non HP/Compaq motherboard is easy.

I usually cut the front panel connectors out of old cases that are headed for the dup & save them.
On a HP/Compac I carfully cut the front panel connector to leave the on button wires intact.
Once I have the connector cut I just cut the wires & toss the part I'm going to replace .
I then simply splice wires with the connectors [saved from old cases] on to the wires in the case.

If you don't have a old case handy 2 wire connectors can usually be found at a electroincs supply store .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

If the copy of Windows on your PC is OEM, which if Compaq installed it, it most likely is, then replacing the motherboard will violate the EULA. This is because the OEM versions of the OS have a slightly different license than a boxed retail copy. The operating system can be installed on only one PC and is non-transferrable. Microsoft views the motherboard as the core of the PC and swapping it out with a different one is the same as getting a new PC. The exception to this is a defective motherboard being replaced with an exact duplicate. You can still activate Windows over the phone as suggested, but it is against the license.

Further Reading
Register - Techies in Microsoft licence reading bombshell
Microsoft - Operating System Licensing Q&A (In doc format) <<<Take a look at item 11.

Edited by DJBPace07, 22 March 2009 - 03:21 PM.

3939.png

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

"If the copy of Windows on your PC is OEM, which if Compaq installed it, it most likely is, then replacing the motherboard will violate the EULA."

If that were the case you would never be able to replace the motherboard in a branded computer without buying a new OS .
One way around that would be to use a newer motherboard of the same brand.

I have put non-OEM motherboards in Copaq,HP, & Emachine"s & used the OEM disk to reinstall.
The only problem I've ever had is being put on hold while calling to activate XP .

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Did you read the letter from Microsoft? You can replace the motherboard due to a defect, but the board must be identical to the original. Technically, you're not supposed to reinstall the OS since the OEM disc is used. However, there is nothing preventing you from lying to them to get it reactivated over the phone. I'm not endorsing this, however.

3939.png

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

Technically , You don't have to lie to MS .

If you call & say ,"I had to reinstall XP" usually the only question asked is ,
"Is that copy of XP installed on more then 1 computer ? ".

Of course the answer is "No" .

I've never been asked why I had to reinstall XP or if the motherboard is non-OEM .

If I had been asked I'd have been honest about it. :thumbsup:

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

Regardless, you're still violating the EULA even though they have no way to check, for now. It's more of a guilt thing, but it could become an issue if something happened where could check. We should get back on topic instead of discussing the finer points of opressive EULA's.

3939.png

#15 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

If the copy of Windows on your PC is OEM, which if Compaq installed it, it most likely is, then replacing the motherboard will violate the EULA......

For your information- I have no OEM version of Windows installed on my computer. I bought my copy of Windows XP(pro) separately. So I think I will not violate the EULA if I change my motherboard and follow the instructions given to me by fairjoeblue. Am I right? Please reply. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users