Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A question on reformatting and drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ampharos82

ampharos82

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

As the topic says, I do not have the driver CD for my Dell that I plan on reformatting. As i look up the hardware that is installed on my computer, it says that some of the drivers are digitally signed by Microsoft Windows Publisher and provided by Microsoft. My brother says that some of the drivers could be automatically installed by Windows after I reformat it, but would it really? So, if the provider says Windows, would that mean that Windows can download this driver by itself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Look on the back of your computer there should be a service tag
Go here & enter the service tag

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx

You can get all the drivers for your computer

If you can't find the service tag use the model & Select a model

As for the drivers being installed by Windows that really depends on what version of Windows you are installing.
If It's XP more then likely most drivers will be installed by Windows.

" digitally signed by Microsoft " simply means it has MS's "blessing" .

a device co. can pay to have their drivers tested & "digitally signed" by MS.
Some manufacturers choose not to pay MS to test their drivers .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:59 AM

I've installed Vista, XP, and Windows 7 a few times, most of the drivers do download and install automatically. Digitally signed by Microsoft does mean a little more than simply having their blessing, but for the most part it generally means that the drivers shouldn't cause any catastrophic failures and have some level of stability. If you are using a 64-bit edition of Windows Vista or 7, the drivers must be signed.

3939.png

#4 ampharos82

ampharos82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:14 AM

All righty. Thank you for the answers guys. Phew, what a relief that I won't have to find all those drivers and install them.

So I'm guessing, the ones that are provided by microsoft will be downloaded by microsoft, while the ones that are not provided by microsoft will have to be installed manually?

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

if they dont, all you gotta do is get on the dell website and download them.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users