Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SATA hardrive is not recognized

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dlpowers

dlpowers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

I am trying to install a new 320 gig Western Digital hard drive into my computer. It has a ASUS k8v motherboard. I am adding it as a second drive for data storage. The primary drive is an IDE drive. The bios is not recognizing that there is a second drive installed and neither is windows xp pro.

Been trying to work it out for the last 2 nights and am about ready to toss it out the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Is the drive visible in Disk Management?

Is RAID enabled in your BIOS?

Have you read your owner's manual for the BIOS and SATA or RAID configurations?

Louis

#3 dlpowers

dlpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

The drive is not visible in disk management and the setup software that comes with it cannot see it either. The raid configurations software that runs before windows starts can see it but the software for raid that runs through windows cannot.

I've read and updated everything I could find, have put the jumper on the drive to slow it down to 150 MB/s (as suggested on the ASUS site) but nothing has affected it at all. I have not been able to get the ASUS bios updater to work for me yet, and I don't think the update I did download directly did anything.

The drive is getting power and is spinning up. I have had a SATA drive on this computer originally, but it died and I replaced it with 2 IDE drives, one of which is now dead. I was hoping to get a better transfer rate for home video capture so that is why I am trying the SATA drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

If it's reflected in the RAID BIOS (which runs at boot) but is not reflected in Windows....and is not seen/reflected in the regular BIOS...my guess is that your BIOS settings have a RAID configuration set.

It's my guess that you need to figure out the proper adjustments in your main BIOS to reflect the drive as a non-RAID SATA drive.

Do you have a user manual for your board?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2009 - 03:19 PM.

#5 dlpowers

dlpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

Took some searching, but I did find the manual. SATA drives are mentioned several times. Once reguarding onboard device configuration which reads: OnChip SATA Boot ROM which can be either enabled or disabled. It was enabled before, but switching to to disabled changed nothing. The other section is telling me how to setup a RAID array with 2 SATA drives, but there is nothing there about only installing one drive.

#6 dlpowers

dlpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Turns out that the simple answers are the best. After reading the manual thoroughly, I discovered that my mother board has two sets of SATA connectors, one for a raid array and another (hidden behind a cluster of wires) for normal connections. I had been using the raid set. Hooked up to the correct connector, everything is good.

Thanks very much Hamluis for your help. I would never have found the answer without digging out the manual like you suggested.

David

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

LOL...you probably don't remember the old RTFM days of the Internet...glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users