Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to set a System Restore Point and cant open HTML Help files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shandroid

Shandroid

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hi all, here's some more problems from me. :thumbsup: For years now, I have not been able to set a system restore point. Yes, I know, bad. I haven't always been very computer-savvy (even less than now!) When I try to set a point, I get this error message: "System restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer and try system restore again." Restarting doesnt help and yes, I have it enabled and running and same goes for task scheduler. I have had malware problems that took me ages to fix, so I need this more than ever to run.

Next issue: I cannot open Microsoft HTML Help files. When I try double clicking nothing happens. I fiddled with the registry not long ago, when I thought I knew what I was doing and may have screwed this up in the process. Any pointers?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:37 AM

Mmm, there is malware that can make such changes, that remain, even after you clean up. But this kind of problems can also be caused by messing with the registry. You can try an XP roll-back installation. By doing so, all original windows files will be set back. You will loose all updates and service packs installed after your xp-install. For exemple, if your CD is XP home SP1, you will go back to that version and have to download/install all updates that came after that release.
However you will not loose any personal files/programs.
After your computer is started, just put the XP-cd in the CD-drive, run the cd and choose install xp. I dont know if this works when your computer came with a manufacturer-CD however.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thank you, Elise, I have read that you might lose personal data during a new install. Are you positive all personal data and programs remain intact?

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

Lets get this straight, we are not talking about a new installation. A new installation you do when you boot from your installation CD and set up a new Windows XP on your PC.
What you do when rolling back the install is that all windows files are set back to how they originally were after installation. That means that you will loose all windows updates (for exemple, if you installed sp2, and your cd has sp1, your windows version will be set back to sp1 and you will have to download sp2 and all updates).
You will not loose personal files that are not related to windows. However, as always, it is strongly recommended to back up your data before doing anything.
However if you are not in a hurry and if you are not sure, you can wait to see of there are more experienced members who can give you their opinion about what to do.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

Thank you, Elise. I have considered a repair which is what I think you mean by roll back, or not. I really have no business doing any of this stuff. Thanks again.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Yes, that is what I ment.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users