Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC Scannow Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lukin922

Lukin922

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

I was able to run SFC /scannow on my computer, however I got a pop-up window that stated the following:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD now."

My problem now is I don't have the CD to insert. What should I do? The service pack updates I've done were all through the web and not on a CD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

Pay attention to post number, where it talks about the i386 folder
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

Thanks garmanma. I was able to download SP3 and just reinstall SP3. This resolved the issue with SFC /scannow. Thanks for your help.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Glad you got it working
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

I have XP SP3 installed. I have run sfc /scannow to check for missing files. I just did a clean install, and it still asked for the XP Pro cd. In fact, I ran SFC several times now, and every time it asks for the cd multiple times. I don't know why. Even with SP3 installed, is it ok to use the original XP Pro cd when asked for? It seems that a cd containing SP3 would be needed. Am I replacing new files with old ones by using the original XP Pro cd?

Edited by onalandline, 23 April 2009 - 09:08 AM.

Support Our Troops!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Am I replacing new files with old ones by using the original XP Pro cd?

It's replacing damaged files with one off the CD
Try your XP CD
Mark
Posted Image

#7 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

Am I replacing new files with old ones by using the original XP Pro cd?

It's replacing damaged files with one off the CD
Try your XP CD

I understand that part, however since I have installed SP2 and SP3, aren't there newer versions of some of those files in the service packs that I may be replacing with older versions by using the original XP CD? Also, I have run SFC several times now, and it keeps asking for the XP CD several times on each run. I don't get it.

Support Our Troops!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users