Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer - Game error crashing, help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 quo_status

quo_status

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hey all! I just recently got a computer that someone was selling off Craigslist, it is used BUT in nearly every way and performance it is faster and better than my last (old and outdated). Everything was going smooth as all hardware and drivers was installed, all programs ran well, no internet lagging and games run smooth. Oddly since the past few days, nearly a week now my machine has been encountering certain crash/error issues when playing games. I believed to have updated all my drivers and whatnot, but maybe I have done something out of place or have yet a driver or two I need still... I only have a few games installed at the moment, including Left4Dead and UnrealTournament3 which both run smoothly on my machine. Only problem is they tend to crash in the middle of gameplay. STEAM server (used for l4d) has crashed also; I've gotten various error messages in response.
One that just recently started was when in the middle of gameplay (usually UT3) everything stops and goes to this blue screen; you cannot do anything but shutdown/reboot at this point. The blue screen has an error message and I havn't written it down yet. I'm sure to encounter it again soon. My thoughts on this is a possible bad motherboard/videocard/physical system ram. I need help finding and analyzing what is the causes!
I am not very "computer savy" in some terms so I might need some extra explanation with some areas.

My current pc machine is an intel pentium 4, 2core (I think), 3ghz cpu processor, WindowsXP Pro SP3, Radeon X-1650 Video-card (512megs) with AGEIA Physx integrated, plenty of HDD space (plan to get a second HDD and a third for important backup files) and 1gig system RAM.

I'd appreciate your help. I'll answer questions as best I can!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

I would uninstall all of the old graphics drivers, and reinstall the latest ones from the ATI website. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

This could also be a ram issue. Run memtest86 overnight, and see if it brings up any errors. http://memtest86.com/

The last thing I can think of is the power supply may be dying or not giving the system enough power. What is the brand of the power supply, and on the side of the power supply, there should be a label with information on it. What is the wattage of the power supply, and how many amps are on the +12V rail(s)?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

The exact error messages you are getting would be useful in helping us locate the problem.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quo_status

quo_status
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:12 AM

Sorry for the late reply. I'll get onto both the memory check and driver update asap. As for the most MAJOR error encounters I have mentioned this blue screen where said error and such is mentioned. Here is the latest one:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ati3duag.dll
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete."

There have been simular error stop messages on the blue screen before this one, being the latest. There's some differences in each one, but the message is quite the same.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select SafeMode.

Try changing video adapters. Check with hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing."

And at that moment it lets me do nothing more further than an instant restart. I hope this helps some. Now I'm a little hesitant to try these instructions because I've done alot of work on this machine, and I'm not at all sure this may cause more issues. That's where I'll ask for your input.

--------------

Edit: Alright I just downloaded the latest driver for Radeon X1650, uninstalled my current one and just finished installing the new downloaded version. I am about to do some testing, see if that did the trick. Also I'd like to ask: My vid card, Radeon is a x1600/x1650 series, I could only choose one of the two for download (1600 or 16500), and I chose 1650; could I be needing BOTH 1650 AND 1600 driver updates?

------

Still having crashing issues. Tested it out with my UT3 game and it ran smooth for a few minutes before crashing and disappearing off screen.

Edited by quo_status, 22 March 2009 - 08:01 PM.

#5 quo_status

quo_status
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

I've tried downloading Memtest but failed to run after download. Please look to my last post, some of my most recent updates are there.

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

ati3duag.dll is ati grapics card driver
so that may help? scan computer for melware

#7 quo_status

quo_status
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

I have scanned for malware both in normal and safe mode and no infected results. Also, I touched the top of the case where the power supply's located and then the power supply itself and it was HOT, warmer than average warmth for computer hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users