Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser slow to open

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peem

peem

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

My computer,as I assume everyone's does, eventually became slower and slower. I read all I could and followed the instructions,ie used all my security programs and it seems moderately ok now.I say ok but I do have a niggle and this is it.My browser,its FF, takes between 3& 4& a half minutes to open.
To be exact(cos I've timed it)the average time is this. I say average because of the browser discrepancy.
Boot up.
20 sec to the 'Windows' screen.
40 sec to 'Welcome' screen.
20 sec to 'desktop'screen.
Then at about 2 minutes the browser screen appears, or at least the menu bar does but the rest of the screen stays blank(white) for the rest of the time/s I previously mentioned. The status bar goes half way and stops.
I have run all my security as I have said.
These are, A squared,Malwarebytes,S.A.S,SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware.
I also regularly run CCleaner.
I run these in safe mode and when I am on line.
I am on XP Home. My 'Startup' programs are 'Win Patrol' 'ashDisp(?),AAWTray (again ?) Internet.
I did take my browser off startup and opened it manually but there was no difference in the times stated.
Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

I'd say you have things running at startup that you don't need, like AAWTray (AdAware)
ashDisp is for Avast Anti-Virus. Do you still have that? It's probably conflicting with A squared
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

I seems that you have too many security apps running at same time.

#4 peem

peem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:29 AM

So can I take AAWTray off start-up?
YesI have Avast Anti-Virus so I assume I would keep that on start-up?

Romeo29, not sure I understand. My security apps run only when I 'apply' them except SpywareBlaster which runs in the background. Or am I missing something simple here?
Thanks for your replies.

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

Hi peem,

If you copy these instructions into a notepad file, you can find them later and this will allow you to do the following instructions while you're disconnected from the internet. In that way you can disable your security programs without endangering your computer. You can also print out the instructions rather than putting them into a notepad file and then disconnect the computer.

Once you've disconnected, go into the Windows diagnostic tool called msconfig. Go to Start > run and copy/paste in msconfig, click on ok. Check diagnostic system start and click on ok. Reboot into safe mode by clicking on the F8 key during bootup until you get the menu which includes Safe Mode. Use the arrow keys to highlight safe mode and allow the computer to complete bootup into safe mode.

In diagnostic system start, the startup programs are unchecked. Did this have a positive effect on the time it took for you to boot up?

While you're in safe mode, click on Start, right-click on My Computer, right-click on the C:\ drive, select Properties, select the Tools tab and in the top part of that tab, you'll see an option to check the disk for errors. Click on that and allow it to run. If it finds any bad sectors on your disk, it will make a correction for this.

After you've checked the disk, reboot the computer and allow it to boot back into normal mode, but do not connect to the internet yet. Is the timing better without the different startup programs?

If the bootup time is better, then go back into msconfig as before (Start > Run > copy/paste in msconfig > click on ok). Put a checkmark next to one antivirus and your firewall and reboot. Check the time it takes to boot up.

If bootup time is still okay, then continue adding the programs back in until you can determine what might be causing the drag at bootup.

msconfig is only a diagnostic tool. It's not meant to be a solution for programs you don't want to have run at startup. To better manage your startup items, try one of the following:

Startup Inspector for Windows
Startup CPL

If the above does not improve your bootup time, there could be other issues like malware, software conflicts or hardware problems. This will give you more information.

Zllio

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

YesI have Avast Anti-Virus so I assume I would keep that on start-up?

Yes
I assume A Squared is just their malware scanner, and not their AV?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 peem

peem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:58 AM

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
garmanma yes it is a malware scanner.
Zllio Thanks for that info. I dont know what I did but it worked. I've also downloaded Startup Inspector for Windows.
Thanks to all who replied.

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

i know the newer A Squared have anti virus
because i uesd to have it on my old windows me and it said it have av but it dont support 9x no more Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users