Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multiple instances of svchost.exe ? Is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

I have six instances of svchost.exe running on my computer at the same time.I am not 100 percent sure what the true function of this program is.
Do I really need all six running at the same time?
Any input on this matter would be very helpful!!
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Relax, please. Completely normal. SVCHOST is a big windows process which runs a whole range of other services.
Each instance runs one or more services.
Get yourself ProcessExplorer from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx, substitute it for task manager forever.
Right click each instance of svchost and it will show you the hierarchy and all the jobs svchost is doing.

So long as it's in system32 folder and the date of the file makes sense (last Windows updates for instance) and your antivirus isn't objecting that svchost been taken over, you're ok.

Touch any of those instances and our Windows might not even boot. It's that important.

Good tutorial is on this site http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Edited by tos226, 20 March 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#3 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

Thank you tos226! I just thought it was strange, having that many processes running at the same time.
Thanks for the advice on "ProcessExplorer".. I will definitely look into this.
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users