Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with defrag

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ronnie Fox

Ronnie Fox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:48 PM

Hi all,

I'm a new member from Belgyland! Nice to meet you.

I'm having a problem when defragging my hard drive. The defrag start over and over. The program says something like "system files changed, restarting defrag bla bla". You get the point. I got my new secondhand pc last week. First time the defrag worked, but it restarted a couple of times. The problem is getting worse now, no matter what I do. I've ran AVG virus scan, adaware, spybot, ccleaner and installed the zone labs firewall. The rest of the computer is running a lot smoother now, except defrag. What is strange is that I had the same problem with Scandisk, but that is solved now, while it gets worse in defrag. It litteraly restarts every two minutes.

Anybody know what is causing this? I've done everything I can think of.

I posted my HJT log here:

Ronnie's HJT log

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

Hello Ronnie Fox and welcome to BC

To allow Scandisk and Defrag to run, you must shut down any other programs beyond Explorer and Systray. To do this, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Close Program box and highlight each running program in turn and click End Task. In addition, you need to disable your screensaver until you are done.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Ronnie Fox

Ronnie Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:01 PM

Leurgy,

thank you I will try that. I didn't know you had to shut everything down. On my last computer defrag worked fine with all programs running (same OS too).

I'll let you know how it goes.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:04 PM

Another way is to do both scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode. Here is a tutorial explaining how to get into safe mode:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...Mode-tut61.html

Safe mode launches Windows with the bare minimun of programs running, so the rest of the applications, etc.,will not interfere with defragmentation.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 11 June 2005 - 02:05 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Ronnie Fox

Ronnie Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:54 PM

Thanks guys, it worked perfectly in safe mode. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users