Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound gets fixed and then when reboot...no sound

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lejmna8

lejmna8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

HI,

I have a Dell computer, which has worked great until about a month ago. At that time, I noticed that I didn't have any sound. I contacted Dell and they worked with me online to correct the problem. After they worked on my computer the sound would be on but when I reboot, the sound didn't work again.
I contacted Dell again and they fixed it again using the "online" technician. Again, when I rebooted the sound wouldn't work. Dell then told me that I needed to get the original disk that came with the computer and look for the drivers in there. Needless to say, my daughter has no idea where the disks are. I again contacted Dell and asked if we could get another disk. They said that they don't have the 2000 disk anymore and that I need to purchase the disk from Windows.
My question is this, is there something else that I can do to fix this before I start looking on purchasing the disk. Is there a place where I can get the driver for this computer online? Or is there anything else that I can do to help fix this problem?
One other thing, I thought that maybe I had gotten a virus or worm when I downloaded Quicktime. That was the only thing that I did differently when I started having trouble with no sound.
I uninstalled Quicktime and any program that had to do with Apple because Dell said that could have been causing the problem. Even after uninstalling these items, I still don't have sound.
One last thing, as I was scrolling through some of the other posts, I noticed that someone had asked if there was a yellow exclamation point on something. When the Dell technician was controlling my mouse and working on my cojmputer, I noticed a yellow exclamation point on something but I couldn't tell you where it was or how to get there.
Thank you for any help that you can give me.
lejmna8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

Please give us the model number and the service tag number
If this is a tower, it will be on some stickers, on the back. A laptop's are on the bottom
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lejmna8

lejmna8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Latitude c640
3rvq221

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

Your driver is here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...mp;fileid=57707
Download it to your Desktop
Click on the + by Installation Instructions and it will describe how to do it

Edited by garmanma, 14 March 2009 - 09:01 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 lejmna8

lejmna8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your help. I downloaded the driver and did everything that was instructed to do. I could hear music, streaming items and youtube stuff. Everything was working fine. I shut my computer off and when I turned it back on the sound doesnt work again. When I tried using the Windows media player i get this error.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

This appears to be doing the same thing as before...which is getting my sound to work and then when I shut down and then turn back on.,..no sound.

Do you have any other suggestions? Could something be bothering my driver?

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jayne

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Try the directions of post number 2 in this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/211381/no-active-mixer-devices-installed/
Mark
Posted Image

#7 lejmna8

lejmna8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi,
Startup type is already on Automatic and Service status: Started
I am about to shut down and see if the sound will stay on.
Will get back with you in a second/
Jayne

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

When you have sound, the sound icon is in the System tray, correct?
When you lose sound, does the icon remain and does it disappear?
Go to your Control Panel->System->click on the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager tab. Let me know what devices have the yellow exclamation point
Mark
Posted Image

#9 lejmna8

lejmna8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

I started this note with a helper and ended up not contacting him right so I'm restarting this note and I will post here and not directly to a helper.
Below is my previous original note.
I was asked to send my service id and I received the drivers that I needed. I have downloaded them and I can get the sound to work but again, when I turn off my computer and turn it back on, my sound goes away. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Thank you in advance.

HI,

I have a Dell computer, which has worked great until about a month ago. At that time, I noticed that I didn't have any sound. I contacted Dell and they worked with me online to correct the problem. After they worked on my computer the sound would be on but when I reboot, the sound didn't work again.
I contacted Dell again and they fixed it again using the "online" technician. Again, when I rebooted the sound wouldn't work. Dell then told me that I needed to get the original disk that came with the computer and look for the drivers in there. Needless to say, my daughter has no idea where the disks are. I again contacted Dell and asked if we could get another disk. They said that they don't have the 2000 disk anymore and that I need to purchase the disk from Windows.
My question is this, is there something else that I can do to fix this before I start looking on purchasing the disk. Is there a place where I can get the driver for this computer online? Or is there anything else that I can do to help fix this problem?
One other thing, I thought that maybe I had gotten a virus or worm when I downloaded Quicktime. That was the only thing that I did differently when I started having trouble with no sound.
I uninstalled Quicktime and any program that had to do with Apple because Dell said that could have been causing the problem. Even after uninstalling these items, I still don't have sound.
One last thing, as I was scrolling through some of the other posts, I noticed that someone had asked if there was a yellow exclamation point on something. When the Dell technician was controlling my mouse and working on my cojmputer, I noticed a yellow exclamation point on something but I couldn't tell you where it was or how to get there.
Thank you for any help that you can give me.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Go to the Device Manager and double-click on the audio device
uninstall the driver
Download from the link I gave you and follow these instructions:

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled C5mua09i.exe.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r48991. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r48991 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Post the results back here
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users