Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

I have an old CM Systems tower w/ a Maxtor 40g hdd drive PIII (800mhz), Creative 52x cd rom that was working just fine a few days ago. Now this is probably incidental but I installed a new router a couple of days ago. It might be an Asus 100/133 mother board(not sure) but I had one exactly like this one a few yrs ago and that's what it ran. The only difference is this one was originally used for archiving it has the 40g max and had 2 insertable expansion bays with 2 20g maxtors in them you know the kind you can just slide in and out and change the hdd in a snap, slide it back in and your off. Well I turned it on today and it isn't detecting anything. cd rom hdd it is detecting the floppy(which never worked after I installed xp) I can't get this thing into safe mode. It gives me a message to insert disk but the cd rom won't open so that's not an option. when the power comes on it starts to go thru it's processes and says none at every drive(pri master, pri. slave, sec master etc. It reads the RAM the 3.5 floppy (says SPD On Module(s) : Yes... and Data Integrity: Non- ECC...I have no idea what this means) then this.

PCI device listing.....
Bus No. Device No. Func No. Vendor ID Device ID Device Class IRQ
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

0 4 1 1106 0571 IDE Controller 14/15
0 4 2 1106 3038 Serial Bus controller 5
1 0 0 1002 474D Display Controller 11

Sorry for the over kill but some body unlike me with some intelligence might glean something from it.
Respectfully,
doctorphibes
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suggest that you start at the beginning...and go into the BIOS.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

The main BIOS screen should reflect any drives attached. Are any drives (including the optical drive) reflected there?

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

Louis

#3 doctorphibes

doctorphibes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi Hamluis,
I can get in to the BIOS no problem, but what to do once I get there? I forgot to put in my original post that it give me the error message : DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYS DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Problem is; it doesn't read or even power my cd rom or HDD for that matter. "My but this is wonderous strange..." The power supply is on ( I hate stating the painfully obvious) fan running processor at 800MHz. That's where it begins and ends. With a bloody blinking white cursor. I have 2 options when I go to boot order, it's pretty much stuck on cd rom. I hit "enter" window pops up with options "disable" or"none". Any ideas about what to do if I go to the power or other option? Or is mother toast?
Thanks for your help :thumbsup:
Respectfully,
doc
....now where's that butter...

Edited by doctorphibes, 21 March 2009 - 09:28 AM.

I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users