Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hibernate vs. Standby vs. Shutoff

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1180694

Luvkitty had started a topic in the Vista section on how the various methods of shutdown (hibernate, standby, shutdown) affect her pc and whatever security scans she might be running. Usasma et cie answered her questions quite helpfully, but suggested I start another topic here for XP (I have SP3).

I am asking these questions in very general terms, and not relating to whether there may be malware already installed or application problems, etc.

What are the relative merits of standby vs. hibernate vs. shutdown? What are the relative problems? I am talking about when one is ending a session on a theoretically healthy pc. I understand that pc's as currently designed do not use nearly so much energy as they did 5 or 10 years ago, so setting a pc on low power usage options is not really necessary. Do standby or hibernate options pose a security risk, if the pc is left on for longer than necessary (say a few hours or a day)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Well in the other thread they are talking about a desktop
To me, using either on a desktop is a waste of time and resources
I feel it's better to use the energy settings to power down the hard drive and monitor after a set idle time
If you're using a laptop and are moving place to place and need to access the computer quickly and don't want to wait for reboot, I'd use Standby
Standby will use up your battery quicker than Hibernate
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users