Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Freeman*

Freeman*

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hey there guys, Im in a need of help. After I've solved problems with another forums help (http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122718.html and http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123368.html) everything worked fine. Then after a week or two, it started freezing when I started to play games. Later, it started freezing when the user login screen comes up, so I uninstalled my graphic cards control panel and it worked for a while
I tried decreasing my BIOS Onboard Video Memory from 8MB to 4MB.
Tried decreasing the AGP to 4X on my Video cards controller. Didn't help.

I've been reading around on what could be the problem. Well, my CPU is fine, looking from the pic bellow.
Posted Image

If you think it might be the power supply, I haven't ever touched. It cannot be overheated because I allways leave my case open, the fans work fine and I have blown the dust out. Scanned for viruses with Dr.Web, but when i tried to do a complete scan in safe mode, it froze up two times. I was able to play Counter-Strike 1.6 for some time, but GTA just freezes up.

I don't really know the power supply, but my graphics card doesn't have an extra one. Now, I am running my computer whilst the ATI card controller software is offline. I keep my case opened all the time now, I have blown the air out and even tried vacuuming the card from a safe distance(bad idea, i know). I have scanned for viruses with Dr.Web(The experienced scan) in safe mode. I now play Counter-Strike 1.6, it's laggy cuz the driver ain't updated and it sometimes randomly freezes, but I can play for a longer duration. Altough, when I try to play GTA it just freezes.

I also tried testing my RAM, since two slots burned a month ago. Did 15 passes with memtest and there were no errors.
At the moment, I can barely turn it on. It keeps freezing while booting, it maybe succeeds after a few restarts.
Are there any graphics card diagnostic tools that i could use?

My specs:

1,25 GB or RAM.
Windows XP Pro SP3
ATI RADEON 9600 Graphics card.
2 Hard drives with enough disc space or anything.

Thank you in advance,
Regards,
Freeman.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

two slots burned a month ago

Have you taken the motherboard out and inspect it for extra damage? Check for burn spots underneath and swollen resistors and/or capacitors
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Error message detail would be enlightening, IMO.

You can also check Event Viewer for clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

FWIW: Your system can overheat, regardless of whether the case is open or not. The CPU is not cooled/protected solely by circulating air.

If you have an ATI graphics card...you might try uninstalling everything related to it (Catalyst Control Center, drivers, MMC, etc.) and then deleting every registry reference to "ATI" from your system...before reinstalling the card properly. This is suggested based on my experience with my ATI cards.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.playtool.com/pages/uninstallgra.../uninstall.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#4 Freeman*

Freeman*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I have fully uninstalled all of the drivers, but it keeps freezing when I enter Devide manager or event viewer.
I also got a BSOD:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x0000007A (OxE18BD958,0xC000000E,0xBF8CEBF4,0x053A2860)

win32k.sys - Address BF8CEBF4 base at BF800000,

Any diagnostics I can run to make sure if it's the Motherboard or the Graphics card? I need to know it till tommorow.

Edited by Freeman*, 20 March 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

I suggest that you go to http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html and scroll down to the section dealing with your error message (STOP: 0x0000007A (OxE18BD958,0xC000000E,0xBF8CEBF4,0x053A2860).

As you can see...it can be so many things. I would try the easy suggestions first.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users