Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

As my subject title says, I'm having a problem with my computer restarting itself while I'm working on it. I don't think I could say it's "random" as it seems to be when I'm opening up a window within a program or something like that. For example, I want to download something and as soon as I click on the Download button the screen goes black and then the boot info does it's thing.

Here's what I've already tried:
- I put in a brand new hard drive and reinstalled windows (assuming it might be some kind of virus or software issue). Still had the problem
- So I put in a new power supply unit with higher watt rating, figuring it might be a power issue (as it seemed to happen when I was opening something, so I thought maybe the unit is going bad and can't handle the added drain). Still did the same problem. Also, I don't do much on the computer that draws power anyway. Only internet, accounting program and MS Office. No wild gaming, videos, music, etc. Just boring work crap.

I don't think it's a heating issue as it will do it within minutes of the computer being powered up (and besides, I've had the enclosure off the computer while running it, as well, and still did the restart at some point).

The computer is a generic (no name brand) pentium 4, about 3 years old running windows xp. It's run fine until recent months.

So after that, I have no idea what could be causing this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

If it's shutting down without warning or no error message, I would still suspect heat
Even with the side off, it the heatsink is packed with lint and crud, it will overheat
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

Garmanma, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I took off the CPU fan and heatsink and there was indeed this black caked-in crud on the surface of the heatsink and CPU. I cleaned both off nice 'n' shiny and put back together and didn't have a single restart issue the rest of the day. And I did all the sorts of opening up things that would cause it to restart before. I'll see if that continues, but so far looks like you are right on. Thank you so much!!!!

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

That black caked on crud you mentioned you cleaned off of the CPU & heatsink was old thermal compound.
If you clened the CPU & heatsink until they were nice & shiny you need to get some3 thermal compound, remove the heatsink, put a thin coat on the CPU & then put the heatsink back on.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users