Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Me Replace Deleted Registry Keys!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shandroid

Shandroid

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

Ok, before everyone throws tomatoes at the new girl, I DID NOT just go flitting about in regedit and start deleting keys I thought were bad. Here is what happened: I was infected with very nasty malware that caused three problems (that I am aware of): Google redirecting, disabling of cmd and regedit. I tried just about everything I could to make it go away and in my desperation, attempted to run sysinternals autoruns without an expert guiding me. I am not stupid enough, though, to have not had instructions on hand before doing any deleting. I ticked the appropriate selections in options (hide Microsoft entries, show empty locations and verify certificates). In my naivete, I assumed that whatever showed up, that looked like it could be causing one of my problems, and it was by "microsoft" was malware. Well, sadly, NOT TRUE. Sadly, the next day, I found a solution online for my malware problem which fixed it right up, however, now, I am stuck with deleted, or modified registry keys and I have no idea what I changed (I know, brainless) except for one obvious change.

Here is what I know is going on that definitely was not going on before fooling around with the registry: After I boot up and log on to any account, a box pops up that says: "Which user account do you want to use to run this program?", then under that, is a box to tick or untick that says: "Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity." The only way I can begin working is to untick the "protect" box. This box pops up every time I want to open a program, and in order to open that program, I have to untick the "protect" box. I think that is the only windows thing I messed up. Does anyone know where in the registry this function is found? All I need is to fix this part of the registry, but my knowledge is very limited.

I have a Windows xp Home Edition, with sevice pack 3. If you need more details, I will be happy to provide them. I have most of the malware programs downloaded (that are recommended by this forum) including HijackThis and Security Task Manager. I will be happy to download any other helpful programs.

Thanks so much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Download EXE file fix from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Open the archive and double-click on the .reg file inside. Click Yes on confirmation box.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

I don't know if that link provided will correct whatever is wrong...I don't think it will create new registry entries, but I can't tell.

The easiest sure thing to do, IMO, would be to do a repair install of XP...which would result in any missing system files and/or registry entries...winding up where they belong.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#4 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

Thank you for this link! However, I don't understand what you mean by "archive." I didn't see a link for archive on that page. Thanks again.

#5 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

I tried to download one of the registries (for help association since I remembered I couldn't open help files), and WinZip has an error that says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create a folder for it under the folder options control panel."

What do I do?

#6 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

Thank you, Louis. I will look into that as well.

#7 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

The Windows repair method seems difficult, as it looks like I will have to use the Windows Recovery Console and I am scared to use that.

Does anyone know if I can access a saved document with the instructions during recovery console? If not, and I decide to do it, I can print the instructions.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

You need a Microsoft XP CD.

The instructions contained in both links posted...clearly delineate the how and when of a repair install. It cannot get any simpler than illustrated screens for every move.

My error...I forgot to add this one, Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

It's the same repair install procedure for both XP Home and XP Pro.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2009 - 04:58 PM.

#9 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

Thank you, Louis, and, sadly, I require very detailed instructions, especially since I don't want to make things worse.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

I tried to download one of the registries (for help association since I remembered I couldn't open help files), and WinZip has an error that says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create a folder for it under the folder options control panel."

What do I do?

Thats because your EXE file association is broke.

To fix EXE file associations:

Open My Computer, in the menu select Tools > Folder Options.
In the Folder Options dialog, select the File Types tab.
Click on New. It will open another dialog titled Create New Extension.
Type EXE in the File Extension field.
Click Advanced and select Application in the Associated File Type combo box.
Click OK two times to close the dialogs.

Edit: But I would suggest to do a repair install as Louis has advised, because you seem to have many entries missing in registry.

Edited by Romeo29, 20 March 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#11 Shandroid

Shandroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

With your superior help, I have now fixed my first set of problems. I have another new topic forthcoming, sadly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users