Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which AVP and Firewall is the BEST ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SunnyTX

SunnyTX

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

Free or paid. Don't mind paying reasonable price if that's the route I gotta take. I am about to do clean install with XP SP1 CD then I will d/l SP2 and turn on SP2 firewall if I can figure it out,lol. Is there anything else I should have ? Have AVG for AVP. Is there a better one free/paid ?

Edited by SunnyTX, 11 June 2005 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:08 PM

Hiya SunnyTx,
Just read your post. I did the exact same thing to a second computer I was able to pick up cheap, that had a corrupt version of XP installed.
Complete clean install with SP 1, then added SP 2.
I downloaded and installed the free AVG software...works well, no problems at all, updates are regular.
Activated SP2 firewall, no problems, although in my main computer I have McAfee firewall. but thats just my preference.
Dont forget however to download anti-spyware, I use Ad-aware SE and Spy Bot,seach and destroy.( Both free downloads ).

All the best,
Tony. :thumbsup:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:12 PM

Just a comment about the Windows firewall. While it is better than nothing, it does not have the configurability nor features you can find in even free firewalls. Most importantly, it does nothing about examining outgoing packets; your computer, if ever infected, could thus become a bot without anything to stop it.

Both Zone Alarm, and my personal choice, Sygate Personal Firewall, are better options then the Windows firewall, and both are free.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 11 June 2005 - 01:13 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Zonealarms :thumbsup:

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:49 AM

I use a Linksys Router as my firewall and AVG for anti-virus and don't have any problems. I also use NetStat Live to monitor outgoing connections as the Router firewall is only monitoring incoming packets.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

Hi SunnyTX~ I use AVG free for my AVP and I use Kerio personal (free) for my firewall. They work very well together for me. When you get your clean install done make sure to at least have Spybot Search & destroy and Ad-Aware SE. They are both a necessity IMHO. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Some very good advices.

#8 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:09 AM

I use a Linksys Router as my firewall and AVG for anti-virus and don't have any problems. I also use NetStat Live to monitor outgoing connections as the Router firewall is only monitoring incoming packets.

I also have Linksys' Router. Do I have to turn on a firewall in it ? How ? Or does it turn on as soon as it is connected. I mean does it act like a firewall just by being there ?

Edited by SunnyTX, 12 June 2005 - 09:10 AM.

#9 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:12 AM

I'll be doing clean install in T minus 3 hours. Wish me luck,lol

Edited by SunnyTX, 12 June 2005 - 11:52 AM.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:32 AM

The firewall is on by default. The router uses Network Address Translation (NAT).

NAT Technology
NAT technology translates IP addresses of a local area network to a different IP address for the Internet. Each computer on your network has a local IP address. When the router gets the data transmission to forward out to the Internet, the router puts a different IP address on the transmission. This way, whoever receives the data transmission doesn't know what the actual IP address of the computer is, so the computer is hidden, safe from prying eyes.

But I still monitor my connection with NetStat in case something gets in and then tries to get out. You can still use a software firewall like ZA along with the hardware firewall in your router, if its present. What is the model number of your router?

Edited by Leurgy, 12 June 2005 - 09:33 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

where can i find the model number ?
It says Wireless-B 2.4 GHz 802.11b Broadbend Router by Linksys

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:06 PM

My preferences are AVG and Zone Alarm. I've never used any of the other firewalls, so I can't give any opinions about them.

I also have a router but would not do without a software firewall, since you can pick up a trojan by browsing and the router will not block requests from inside the computer.

If I had to buy a pay antivirus, I think I might go with Kaspersky. They seem to be one of the more advanced and serious programs, though they can be brutal. I've seen a Kaspersky-powered free version dig viruses out of compressed folders and delete them. Of course, it might actually have been a false positive. :thumbsup:

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:35 PM

According to this your router uses NAT.

Have a look at Important Information for Wireless Products and Wireless Security—Four Steps You Need to Take. You need to be sure you follow that to secure your connection/network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users