Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What caused this error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zagnoc

Zagnoc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

Everytime I tried to play or uninstall Sid Meier's Civilization 4 I would receive this message:

Error Code: -5004 : 0x80041f42
Error Information:
*C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\12\00\Intel32\iKernel.dll
>inc\CoCreate.cpp (44)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1390)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$11.0.0.28844
So I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and used it that worked, it is now uninstalled.

But my question is what caused the above error?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

ERROR_RESOURCE_NOT_ONLINE
5004 (0x138C)
The cluster resource is not online.

Is this some sort of a server, or is it used on some sort of network?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Zagnoc

Zagnoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

This is Sid Meier's Civ 4 game that you play on your pc. I have 1 computer. When I put the disc in the cd-rom I get that message. I played it for months then stopped for a month and played some other games. Then when I tried to play it again, it gives me this message.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

I don't have a clue about this error, except that it's related to iKernel.dll (which is a part of an installer) and Sid Meier's Civilization 4
I'd suspect that it has something to do with not being able to connect to some sort of resource - but exactly which sort of resource is unknown.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Zagnoc

Zagnoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info.

#6 Guruz

Guruz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I recently started having this problem with any game I tried to install. I have looked everywhere and found nothing useful for me. The only legit post I have seen that did anyone any good is setting a "at time /interactive cmd.exe" in the cmd prompt. It opened a different cmd promt that has ultimate authority over all permissions in your comp or something and you would search and initiate the installation from there. Which is what most people think the problem lies with is some bug or error in your registry or permissions. I dont really know about any of that stuff. However that cmd prompt trick worked for some other people but not for me.

And other than that all the other help i can find is adbots posting for some bogus software.

#7 Guruz

Guruz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

SOLUTION!:

I got so desperate for a solution I actually contacted Bethesda Softworks themselves (on the account of it was their games i was trying to install) just to see if they have ever received and fixed this problem. Whether or not they have before they did send me a list of possible solutions. For me the fourth one was the solution. Here is the email i received:

"Hello,

Please use the suggestions below to fix the problem.

1. The installation may still be running. It takes a few seconds for the InstallShield engine to clean up after the end of an installation. Make sure Ikernel.exe is not in memory. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the close programs dialog box. If Kernel is listed, highlight it and end task.

2. Delete the contents of the Windows Temp folder.
- Click on Start, then Run and type in "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP", including the quotes, then click on the OK button.
- Once in this folder, Click on View, then Folder Options. Click on the View tab, then click on Show All Files to place a check by it. Click on the Apply button, then the OK button.
- Click Edit at the top of the window, then Select All, then click File, then Delete. Answer Yes to any of the prompts that appear.
- Once this is done, close all open windows and restart the computer.

3. Delete the InstallShield engine folder so it will be recreated. Engine folder contained there.

- Click on Start, then Run and type in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Installshield", including the quotes, then click on the OK button.
- Once in this folder, Click on View, then Folder Options. Click on the View tab, then click on Show All Files to place a check by it. Click on the Apply button, then the OK button.
- Click on the Engine folder once so that it is highlighted.
- Click File at the top of the window, then Delete. Answer Yes to any of the prompts that appear.
- Once this is done, close all open windows and restart the computer. Once the computer is restarted, try running the installation again.

4. Download and install the latest version of the Ikernel engine.

- Click on Start, then Run and type in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32", including the quotes, then click on the OK button.
- Click on the "Intel 32" folder once so that it is highlighted.
- Click File at the top of the window, then Delete. Answer Yes to any of the prompts that appear.
- Once this is done, close all open windows and restart the computer.
- Download the latest version of the InstallShield engine. Visit http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/self....do?externalId=
Q108322&sliceId=1
- At the bottom are two links. At the bottom is a link labeled "Ikernel Setup" underneath the heading "Download the single executable". Click this link to download the file IkernelSetup.exe. When asked where to save the file, select the Desktop in the Save In location.
- Once downloaded, double click the file IkernelSetup.exe and follow the instructions to install the files. Restart the computer once the install is done. Once the computer is restarted, try the install again.

5. If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, make sure you have sufficient permissions on the machine. If you are attempting to install in Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you must be logged in as the administrator user.

Your customer number is 400525750
Please refer to case #:: 401301171 if you have any further questions.

If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at http://support.bethsoft.com or our technical support staff at (410)-568-3685. Please include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Best Regards,
Gil H. at Bethesda Softworks Technical Support
support04@bethsoft.com"

The other ones might work for you but since I know for a fact the 4th one worked for me you might wanna just jump straight to it.
Thanks and i hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users