Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

complete transfer of old harddrive to new drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 raideron

raideron

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

Hi all,

On my Vista Ultimate, I'm replaceing my only harddrive with another(both are hooked up internally for now) and returning the old drive.

I need to transfer my complete system from old HD to new HD, files,folders,games,registry etc., a complete clone. I was told to just drag and drop old hd into the new drive then remove the old HD and install the new in it's place.

Will this work?? i.e If I do as advise, and once the new HD is my boot hd, will my system info, games etc. be the same as when the old drive was my boot drive once I restart my system???

If not is there a way to do this without buying any software? If not, what would be the best program to do this correctly?

Thanks for any info :huh:

Ron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

Drag and Drop won't work. Most all hard drive manufacturers offer a utility for your needs
Check our the download section of their support site
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 raideron

raideron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll check out Segate's site, both drives are OEM old one 7200.10 new 7200.11 750GB

If I cannot find any help on there site, will True Image also do what I need??

Thanks again

Ron

Edited by raideron, 20 March 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

Yes, Acronis True Image will do the same thing. Read the directions carefully and don't do anything to the original disk until you've verified that the new disk works! (the old one will have to be disconnected when you try to boot the new one in it's place).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 raideron

raideron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

Thanks John,

I think I'm going the Acronis true Image route..... I wonder if their Trial will also do the same.......

Thanks again

Ron

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

I haven't used the trial version - so I'd read the documentation thoroughly.
Make sure to make a bootable CD for restoration purposes
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

The software provided by Seagate (DiskWizard) is Acronis TrueImage.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 raideron

raideron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

I looked at Seagates site, but since my replacement bootable drive is from Dell it did not come with
any software(except what was on my computer when sent). And if I have to buy software to do this,
I may as well get the latest and best that I can find.

I most likely will get Acronis true Image to do this and since I want to just clone my old drive, I'm
getting help from different forums to do the best to get the old HD as clean as possible before doing
the transfer..

Thanks for all the replies

Ron

Edited by raideron, 21 March 2009 - 10:54 AM.

#9 raideron

raideron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hi all,

And thanks for all the help/info!!

I'm always a bit "iffy" :-0.... After working with another forum, I believe I will just start fresh, with the replacement drive... I will still get Acronis true Image, to make a backup of the new drive after I do a bit of cleanup on it to remove any programs that I really do not need...

Thanks again for all the help/info

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users