Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone alarm can not be removed

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 traumajohn

traumajohn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hi,
I tried in the zone alarm forum and in the request tech support with no luck. I am attempting to uninstall teh app. I have a xp home pc with Zone alarm security suite 7. It has a password which has been forgotten. All the suggestions require a password. I logged into safe omde and try to deselect no to start when Windows restarts and I get the password box. I have tried to unistall the files suggested in the forum *.rdb etc and get the error files are in use by another app. I can not quit the app. because of password and can nont delete the files because they are either protected or inuse. I am at a loss.
Thanks,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

The ZFIX tool might not work because of the password protection. But here is the info.

ZFix for Zone Alarm from Greenwood's Computer
If you are having trouble updating or installing the Zone Alarm firewall, with error messages such as "Validation failed for..." any number of dlls, or that the True Vector Monitor can't shut down, etc., here is the solution. If you were already using Zone Alarm, uninstall it. There's a mess of files and folders you must now delete. ZoneLabs gives lengthy instructions on how to do that, but ZFix does it automatically. Download and unzip the CMD file zfix.zip, then run it. It'll clean all traces of any old installation from your system, and you can now run a fresh installation with no problem.
http://www.gwtechonline.com/dnlds.html

You can also try to find the password using the "secrets" tool in SIW. It is a handy, stand alone program to have around.
Once you have the program downloaded, start it then in the sidebar under the "software heading" scroll down to the last item which should be "secrets". Click on it and a list of passwords will be displayed. Hopefully, ZA will be one of them.
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 traumajohn

traumajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the response, I tried SIW and it found other passwords under secrets but not the zonealarm password. Is there a setting in the SIW to find that password for ZA or maybe another password finder?
Thanks again,
I will try the removal link you supplied.
John

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

According to the info in the link below it is possible to reset a lost password in ZA.

How to Reset a Forgotten ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite Password
http://www.techblazer.com/2007/12/how-to-r...suite-password/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 traumajohn

traumajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hi again,
I looked at the link about how to reset the password and it names the same files to delete that I can't because when I attempt to do so I get the message that the files ared in use by another program or person.
John

Ouch my head is hurting. :thumbsup:

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

Did you attempt to remove them in "safe mode"? That is part of the instructions.

#7 traumajohn

traumajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

Yep, I tried both safe mode as requested and windows when that failed. I even tried to end task in task manager and I got the message unable to end access denied. I am in an administrator log in.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Did you read the comments in the Tech Blazer's blog? One of them stated he used "UNLOCKER" to successfully remove the files mentioned in the blog.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download

#9 traumajohn

traumajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks Buddy,
I will try the unlocker tonight and reblog tomorrow either way. Thanks for the suggestions it has been much appreciated.
John

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

Zone Alarm clean removal tool is a replacement for all the manual instructions previously provided
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/sup.../cpes_clean.exe

Just download, save it, click on it to run and it will do the rest. No bothering with safe mode, no complications.
It works for all versions, old and recent, and works well. However, if the system is already messed up by some incomplete attempts, then I don't know how well it will work.

Edited by tos226, 20 March 2009 - 09:49 PM.

#11 traumajohn

traumajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

Okay now I am a little concerned. I went into safe mode and doenloaded the unchecker and I couldn't delete or rename any of the files needed even when I selected to delete on reboot the files remained. I tried the zfix tool but it didn't work because of the password blocking it. I tried the techblazer suggestions but again you have to be aboe to delete the fiels and I can't. I tried to edit the registry as suggested by the techblazer site and got the error couldn't delete the registry item. Wow talk about secure...
Thanks and keep the suggestions coming. I really don't want to reformat because of this one program.

#12 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,610 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Well, this is why it is not a good idea, IMO, to password protect a program like this if you aren't damn sure you won't lose the password. When this is over get yourself a password manager--Keepass is a good one and what I use--so this doesn't happen again--and make backups.

My suggestion for now is to try the resetting of passwords as described in the link from Post #4, but this time when you get into safe mode, log into the Administrator account. I know you've said you are using an account that has admin priviledges, but it is different from the Admin account that is only accessible in safe mode. I believe the default password is blank or admin--so just hit return first and if that doesn't work type in Admin. It may not work since ZA is likely written to the Local Machine registry--but it is possible those files won't be in use in that account or the registry permissions are relaxed for it.

If it doesn't help we'll look into the registry permissions which isn't fun. And you probably would be better off badgering ZA support--i'm leary of publishing in public how to defeat security measures of a firewall program--other eyes could make dire use of that. If you are using the free version you may just be SOL. In that case a reformat may be your only option, then chalk it up to a lesson learned.

One other long shot would be if you have just recently installed ZA--use System Restore.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#13 traumajohn

traumajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Hi and thanks again. I just tried in the "administrator" log in in safe mode. I can't delete the files in safe omde in the admin account and I tried the unlocker program in safe mode with the admin account adn had no luck either. You mentioned the registry, I have worked in the registry on other pc's in the past and am comfortable. If that is one of the last 2 options could you just email me the info so others wouldn't see it? I paid for this version of security suite and it was in stalled about 10 months ago, to far back for a restore, I thought of that to but again yet another road block.
Thanks again,
John

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,610 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

I'm sorry but, after giving this much consideration, I can't give further help in public or private. It is explicitly against forum rules to defeat security measures in situations like yours. I sympathize with your situation and believe you probably are being honest about your circumstances, but there is no way I can verify this. My apologies for implying that I might help further.

Since you have the paid version, ZoneAlarm is obligated to give you support. I can only guess at a solution. I think I found your thread in the ZA forum and see you have no answer. My guess is that they are burdened with the same considerations that I am. If the standard resolution that you have already tried doesn't work, then I doubt you will get an answer in public forums. If ZA support wants to help you further, it is up to them to do so. They are not obligated to help you defeat the security of their program so they may also choose to end support after you've tried the standard solution. If I were you, I would ask them to at least tell you if they choose not to help further.

I would strongly suggest that you begin backing up your important data if you haven't done so already. I'm not optimistic that you can get this solved so a reformat is looking more likely.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#15 traumajohn

traumajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for your honesty, Being a RN in an Emergency Department I can understand rules and regs. Oh well I will try once again in ZA forums but hope is lost.
Thanks,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users