Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Boot Up, all fans spin and stop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Moon013

Moon013

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hi,
My computer has recently encountered a problem, whereby when i on the power at my CPU, lights will be lighted up and fans start spinning. But that lasted only about 1 second. After that, everything stops. There are a few times whereby all of them will start working once again, after stopping, but usually they stopped again, with very few times successfully boot up.

I had brought it to the service center and what that guy did is remove my ram and place it back. To my surprise, my CPU boot up. However, a few days later the same problem occur again. And I did what that guy did, but this time round I did clean my RAM metal piece (I don't know what do you call the thing that attach the RAM to the motherboard). It failed a few times, but boot up eventually after several tries (took out the ram, put it back).

I had totally no idea what is going on. Is that I should buy a brush and clean the metal piece of my RAM? The cleaning mentioned isn't really cleaning, as it is only using the hand to wipe it once (after making sure hand is not static). To some of my friends relates me to my power supply.

I have no idea what is causing it thus I could not bring it to the service center once again, as he will tell me this if he is able to boot up my computer: "so what do you expect me to do?" It really hurts.

Desperate for help, hope someone know what is exactly going on. Thanks.

Note: My reply might be late as my computer might not boot up....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

When I have power issues...my first suspect is the power supply.

If that one can be proven innocent, then I move on to other suspects.

Louis

#3 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

Humm...By proving it the only way i can think of is purchasing one....
And if taking out the RAM and putting it back solve the problem temporarily does not relate itself to the cause of everything? I was hoping I had found the cause..

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

From my limited experience...removing the RAM or reseating the RAM has been known to cure one-time such events on a system.

I say "one-time" because it really doesn't take much to stop the system from booting properly. Components can be dislodged by moving of the system...debris of some sort may fall into one of the sockets, preventing proper electrical circuits, etc.

If I had experienced a situation where I had to reseat the RAM modules more than once...I'd have to conclude that there some sort of defect in the motherboard modules that I need to address.

But...you should await opinions of others who do this for a living and therefore have a much broader range of experience with such.

As for purchasing a power supply...it only takes a few minutes to remove one from a known good working system...and then attach it to your system. Even moving slowly, the whole operation would take less than 15 minutes...since a successful boot would surely be considered decisive.

As I said...wait for other opinions.

Louis

#5 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Okay, thanks for the help given.

Between, there is a new update on my problem. Today, my computer shows a blue screen and auto restart. The thing is I don't get to see the blue screen details...most likely be my pressing on mouse while surfing the net..could have caused it to skip the blue screen details..Will provide with new updates if any.

Edited by Moon013, 21 March 2009 - 01:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users