Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic web browsing in the background

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sachin naik

sachin naik

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

Whenever I connect my PC to the broadband internet, and even though I donít do any web browsing i.e when I keep my connection idle, still I can see my pc doing some minor web browsing in the background (which could be around 20kb per 30 secs, not a huge), I have turned off all automatic updates etc.

I am a bit worried becoz my internet bill may increase to an extent (as I have a limited internet plan)

I hope u guys know that, how do I know that my pc does some automatic browsing, u know, in the task bar towards the right there are 2 small internet icons which I have marked in the picture with red, those are the 2 icons on the task bar which blink whenever my pc does web browsing, by which I come to know my pc does some minor browsing

May I know why is it like that, will this increase my bill?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

Some packet interchanges are a natural product of being connected to the internet (handshakes), which are not really significant in total internet usage. You may want to install one of the free connexion monitors to determine the extent of the "noise."
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 March 2009 - 10:12 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 sachin naik

sachin naik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

but is there any software available on the net by which i can have a track about which websites i am getting connected to, so that i can myself block some suspicious connections (in case if suspicious browsing exists), plz reply

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Many free firewalls will have packet logs that indicate what packets are being sent out and to what IP address. A resident firewall will also allow you to block these by application.

See the list in the appropriate section:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Sygate, as I remember, has especially useful logs and a "who is" search function built in.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 sachin naik

sachin naik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

but can they display the website instead of the ip address

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users