Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C2Q VS i7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Megaman1

Megaman1

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hello,

The highest core speed of a C2Q is 3GHz and the i7, 3.33GHz (correct me if im wrong)
my question is, Is there really a "major" difference in performance with the i7 compared to the C2Q and what technology gives the major prformance boost in the i7 (Turbo boost, architecture....)

Any info would be appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

The Corei7's are generally faster in most situations. I wouldn't justify buying one of the more expensive Corei7's (940, or 965) over the cheaper one though (920). The performance boost isn't worth the extra few hundred dollars it costs.

You can't judge a processor based on just the number of cores, and the frequency (the ghz rating you mentioned). It seems like you are already knowledgeable about this though.

It really depends on which one you want to get. If you have a motherboard that will support a recent quad-core processor, but you have an older processor, it's probably more worthwhile to just get a quad-core. However, if you're building a new gaming or higher-end system, even though it may cost more, I would recommend getting a Corei7 system so you are more futureproof.

If you go to this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop...chmarks,31.html, there are many benchmarks that compare most of the modern processors in different applications.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users