Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New RAM problems - Application won't load properly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hello,

Please help me, what have I done now?

What happened:

I installed 4GB of new RAM (OCZ (OCZ2F10664GK) DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz Fatal1ty Edition 4GB(2x2048MB) Dual Channel), so I am now totalling 8GB. The new RAM matches the old RAM exactly, same brand, same speed, exactly the same. Power was off, things were unplugged, pretty straight forward.

When I boot everything seems fine but once Windows loads but I get error messages telling me just about all of my programs are failing:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2429/capture01x.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3338/capture02r.jpg
(yes amazing background I know)

After using Firefox (which is fine) for about 20 mins or so looking up the error I got a Blue Screen of death saying: Physical Memory Dump and then it counted up to 100 and restarted the machine. When I reboot this is the error report that comes up:

pt 1: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9494/capture04c.jpg
pt 2 (scrolled down): http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2023/capture03e.jpg

Sending the error report does nothing.

Programs like Photoshop and the like crash immediately. I opened Songbird and it told me my Library was corrupted and deleted it. However, if I boot in Safe Mode with Networking (or without) everything seems to open up just fine, and not crash.

Now this RAM is pretty hardcore, more so than maybe I need. So I don't really know much about setting it up in BIOS. Do I need to set voltages, or something like that???

I thought maybe the RAM was bad so I ran the Windows RAM Diagnostic CD that I have and after 6 passes I still had no errors.

I tried to put my Vista disk into the machine to do a 'Repair.' Unfortunately when I booted from the disc it loaded the Vista disk but then stopped loading anything aside from the background and the mouse icon (which I was able to move around) but nothing happened past that.

What the heck have I done wrong? I built this machine a few months ago and until I added this new RAM everything was running really well.

Please anyone who can help me that would be great.

I haven't tried running the system with only the new RAM, or with it removed yet (I ran out of time last night).
But I will try that tonight. Anyone with any ideas please let me know. Especially about the RAM voltage stuff, or anything I should have done in BIOS to make the system stable after installing the new memory.

System Specs:

-Antec TP3-650 TruePower Trio 650W ATX12V 2.2 120mm Fan ROHS Power Supply
-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit (OEM)
-Asus EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI/512M nVidia GeForce 9600GT Chipset (650Mhz) 512MB (1800Mhz) GDDR3 Dual Dual-Link DVI Display PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
-Asus P5Q Socket 775 Intel Intel® P45 + ICH10R Chipset Dual-Channel DDR2 1200 / 1066 / 800 / 667 6x SATA 3.0Gb/s 8-channel High Definition Audio 1x PCI-E x16 Firewire 12x USB 2.0
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Quad-Core Socket LGA775, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, 45nm
-OCZ (OCZ2F10664GK) DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz Fatal1ty Edition 4GB(2x2048MB) Dual Channel X 2

Again, thanks so much to anyone that responds to this thread. If you need any more info of course I will be happy to provide it.

-rand

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

STOP 0x19 parameter 1= 21 Description here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x19
What's unusual about this is the amount of errors that you're experiencing - and that says (to me) that it's either a Windows corruption or a hardware issue. The new memory installation tends to reinforce the hardware issue theory.

As it's a memory thing, I'd first suggest running the built in Windows Memory Diagnostic for at least 3 passes (overnight is better). Here's a link to the how-to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-vista-windows-memory-diagnostics-tool/

Post back with the results and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

thanks so much for the suggestions usasma...

since I posted I have set my RAM correctly in BIOS, something I was sort of schooled on today. it may be that the RAM with 2 X 2GB was okay at 1.8v but 4 X 2GB was too much for it to handle?

I now have my RAM set at 6-7-7-20 and the DRAM voltage at 2.0 volts as recommended by OCZ. When I rebooted into Windows all programs are now responsive and my AVG is loading properly. :thumbsup:

however the system still crashes when not in Safe Mode. :flowers:

I've run the Memory Diagnostic three times when starting it with Vista. I've also run the diagnostic from a boot disk I have and it's passed with no errors 6 times.

could it be that I have fixed the problem, but now the errors I experience are left overs from the initial problem? and that Windows needs to be reinstalled, leaving me with a stable system?

I'll wait for a response before proceeding with the reinstall, in the meantime I am going to start backing up data, and maybe try taking the new RAM out to see if that helps (although it does pass the memory diagnostic?).

seems my situation has improved but I am not out of the woods yet.

#4 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

after running system with ONLY the new RAM leaving them in the same DIMMs the system runs fine with no crashed and the RAM passes the Memory Diagnostic tests.

only when all four sticks are in do I have crashes?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

6 passes of a memory tester is usually adequate for most purposes. But, FYI, I have a computer at work that went 22 passes with MemTest before it spit out errors. And the same computer took 61 passes to spit errors in MemTest86+

There are numerous models of the P5Q mobo, I have selected the P5Q-E for my research.
The P5Q-E can handle up to 16 gB in it's 4 slots, so this isn't likely to be an issue.

This page lists the Qualified Memory Vendors - so checking that is suggested: http://support.asus.com/download/download....amp;model=P5Q-E
It also lists a BIOS update that improves memory compatibility - so I'd wonder about that being a factor.

FWIW - I don't mess with memory timings as I'm satisfied to leave things at stock values. If you're overclocking I'd have to suggest running the tests at default settings (in the BIOS) to assure stability.

Although I suspect that the 650 watt PSU is adequate, what other equipment do you have attached to this system? ?Hard drive(s); DVD drive(s), etc?

If you've thoroughly tested all sticks in all slots (at the 2 gB level), then I'd have to suspect an issue with the motherboard. If it's still under warranty I'd suggest obtaining RMA authorization from the vendor. If it's not under warranty, then a BIOS update may be called for - but they are very tricky and a single misstep can fry your mobo.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

ok so I took your advice and ran the new RAM through the test again.

FAIL on the LRAN test and the Stride6 test every time today.

I exchanged the RAM at the store and I am now running 8GB. We'll see how this goes.

I will also take your advice and update the BIOS now also (something I should have done to begin with).

I will repost with results. thanks for checking in I really appreciate it.

:thumbsup:

-rand

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

Be careful with the BIOS update. It's very unforgiving of errors!

I'm glad that it seems to be working well for you now - keep us posted of any developments.

#8 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

well...

where I left off I had I updated the RAM timings and voltage, programs were opening correctly, I was still crashing though every 30mins or so even with the newly acquired RAM.

I then tried updating the BIOS but the ASUS Update Utility kept telling me I'd downloaded the wrong version of their Update Utility. It was definitely the right package, it wouldn't install.

I suspected that Windows is now corrupted because of the memory problems.

so I tried to reinstall Windows, but the computer crashed again during install 3 times. so I stuck with just 4GB I started with. reinstalled Windows and then updated the BIOS using EZ Flash and a thumbdrive as opposed to the Update Utility from Windows. I then updated Windows and installed the full 8GB again.

I only have firefox and songbird and all the necessary drivers installed and everything seem to be running okay so far.

the RAM passes the diagnostic now with flying colours.

I guess I should wait and see what happens next. maybe the fully updated BIOS, the correct RAM settings, and the newly installed Windows will be the key.

we'll see how it goes from here...

-rand.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

I'd guess that it was issues with the motherboard at this point. The failure to install the BIOS update is a big clue - especially if it's the correct one and it won't install.

#10 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

it wasn't so much that the BIOS wouldn't install as much as it was that the ASUS Update Utility wouldn't install itself in VISTA (I should have been more clear). I was able to upgrade the BIOS no problem using the EZ Flash tool in BIOS.

whatever the problems were I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything is working okay now...

-rand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users