Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

Hi everyone!

I think I messed up my computer pretty good, but maybe one of you experts can help me.

I have a HP Compaq 6510b laptop running Windows XP Pro sp3. I was trying to upgrade the BIOS to the newest version from f.14 to f.15 using a softpaq downloaded from HPs website. Sometime in the middle the screen went dark, and nothing seemed to be happening. After waiting around 20 minutes I turned o the computer and tried to reboot. The powerlight goes on but the screen stays black. I tried making a bootable cd and key drive but nothing will work. Does anyone have an idea of what to do? Do you think I lost my data?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi, as far as I know once you do I bois upgrade and it goes wrong like what has happened here, there is no way to get it back...only by getting a new M/B.
MCP
MSDST

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

I would suggest trying to load the working BIOS version...back onto your system. Same procedure used for updating, different version.

Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Duplicate post removed.

I would also try a different power supply.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2009 - 09:13 AM.

#5 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hi!

I tried all of your suggestions but nothing helped, so I called HP and they replaced the motherboard. The computer was still under warranty so it was all free! BTW I was very impressed with HPs tech support. I have a pick up/ drop off warranty, and I called them Sunday, they picked it up Monday, and returned it Tuesday fixed. :thumbsup: I've heard a lot of horror stories about service from big computer companies so it was a pleasant suprise! Thanks for all your help!

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

Did you tell HP that you messed it up or that it just stopped working...? :thumbsup:

#7 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

All I did was apply an update downloaded from the HP site. But I noticed the BIOS on the new motherboard is still the old version. Maybe I should try updating it... (While the computer is still under warranty.)

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

Seems like they fixed it by reverting it back to the original BIOS and since updating it caused you a problem before, why would you want to try it again?

What problem are you trying to solve by updating the BIOS?

I have always been told not to update the BIOS unless the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem you have. It is not typically recomended to update the BIOS unless the computer actually needs it.

Edited by Stang777, 25 March 2009 - 01:49 AM.

#9 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

I wasn't trying to fix a specific problem, I just did it because I like playing with these types of things. :thumbsup: I'll probably just leave it the way it is now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users