Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Merasya

Merasya

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

After a massive infection stint with three weeks to clean up most of the problems I finally gave up and reformatted the hard drive on the desktop.

So far I have reinstalled twice, and might have to go a third time.

I have Automatic Updates set to download automatically, but notify me for install instructions. SP2 was installed manually. The problem is Automatic Updates are downloading, but I am not being notified for install instructions. If I click the shield while Automatic Update is downloading, then nothing happens. At present I have a ton of d/l'ed upgrades just sitting there.

I know it did this same thing after the SP3 install the first time. I am not sure, but I think it installed SP3 this time too.

There might be a conflict with Eset Security Center and Automatic Updates. I noticed my settings didn't change on the laptop, but in Services.msc Automatic Updates was set to automatic and BITS was set to disable. I have fixed that, and have not let SP3 install on the laptop, just in case.

Before starting over again I figured I'd see if there was a simple fix first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

Were any of these installs...a clean install?

Or just repair installs where you hoped for the best?

Louis

#3 Merasya

Merasya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hi Louis,

Actually there were three installs. After I gave up trying to fix the system after the massive infection I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled. Automatic Update worked fine after running SP2 manually. The problem started after the SP3 install, but I can't say if it wass because of SP3, Eset Security Center, or the mix. I decided to start over, but as I was doing so I gave System Repair a shot, needless to say I wound up reformatting the drive and starting over again.

The third time I let XP search MS for drivers for my Audigy 2 Premiun card. The first time I just faked it with one of the updates. I still can't believe I lost the Installation CD. I already ordered a new Install CD, and won't bother with the card until the CD comes in - I need the CD for the USB Hub and USB 2 drivers. I also burned Mbam, AdAware AE, and Eset Security Center to CD so I can try loading them right after the install, before installing drivers.

FYI: Prior to the infection the system was running just SP2, an old version of Eset's Nod32 AV software, and AdAware 6.

Timothy

#4 Merasya

Merasya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

You can close this thread, at least at this time. Originally the only patches ran in bulk were SP1 and SP1a. The system patched up the rest, including SP2 in pieces. I let the system sit while awaiting an answer. Tonight XP is allowing installation. It seems the Automatic Update was locked while BITS downloaded 37 updates over the past three days. Sorry for wasting your time.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

Glad it solved itself, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users