Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:24 PM
Actually there were three installs. After I gave up trying to fix the system after the massive infection I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled. Automatic Update worked fine after running SP2 manually. The problem started after the SP3 install, but I can't say if it wass because of SP3, Eset Security Center, or the mix. I decided to start over, but as I was doing so I gave System Repair a shot, needless to say I wound up reformatting the drive and starting over again.
The third time I let XP search MS for drivers for my Audigy 2 Premiun card. The first time I just faked it with one of the updates. I still can't believe I lost the Installation CD. I already ordered a new Install CD, and won't bother with the card until the CD comes in - I need the CD for the USB Hub and USB 2 drivers. I also burned Mbam, AdAware AE, and Eset Security Center to CD so I can try loading them right after the install, before installing drivers.
FYI: Prior to the infection the system was running just SP2, an old version of Eset's Nod32 AV software, and AdAware 6.