Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The text on my machine is messing with my eyes!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:04 AM

Most text in Firefox has gone Bold, while text in OpenOffice, Notepad and Internet Explorer has turned Italic!

Here are some screen shots of a website viewed in Firefox and IE:

Firefox:
Posted Image
The text is in Bold

Internet Explorer:
Posted Image
The text is in Italic

I don't have any shots where it looks normal, but you could go there yourself and see how it looks normally.

Notepad:
Posted Image

OpenOffice:
Posted Image

Does anyone know how to change this back to normal? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

P.S. As I'm writing this, I see all the text I type as being in Bold! Does it look normal on your screen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

A quick Google search brought me to http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/...-problem-2.html, which suggests the following:

The problem is due to the fact that the font registry entries have got corrupted. The fonts affected are Arial, Courier, Times New Roman, Marlett, Terminal, etc.

The programs like IE and Firefox fail when they try to locate these fonts. The beauty is that these fonts still exist in the C:\windows\fonts folder.

To fix this issue follow these steps:
1. Click Start Into the search box, type: C:\windows\fonts
2. The fonts window will open. Click Alt+F to activate the menu. Click Install New Font in the menu.
3. In the folders dialog, browse to C:\Windows\fonts where C: is the OS drive letter.
4. All fonts would now appear under List all fonts.
5. Click Select All and then click Install.
6. Confirm the windows permission dialog.
7. A replace file dialog would appear. Click on Yes to each and every dialog that appears. This will ensure that fresh entries for fonts are written in the registry. To avoid clicking, press and hold Alt key - then press Y key for every dialog that appears.

NOTE: These steps were written for XP, not Vista, so some specific steps may vary.

If this doesn't work, there's a Solution 2.

Hope this helps! :huh:
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

It worked! Everything is back to normal! Thanks, dude! Much appreciated!

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

It worked! Everything is back to normal! Thanks, dude! Much appreciated!

:huh: No problem! Glad I could help!
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

Great work jntkwx!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users