Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is SPDIF used for ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

I would like to know for what the SPDIF internal cable is used for on the GPU, and what it really does.

From what i searched I could conclude that the SPDIF is used when you have an HDTV with HDMI. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Any more information that it is not hard to understand would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced
Delta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Megaman1

Megaman1

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

The SPDIF cable (known as TOSLINK) is a connection for digital audio, the SPDIF cable usually connects into an amplifiers digital optical socket for audio output.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

It's not just optical, it is also coax (with the RCA connectors) as well.

Some older videocards have a SPDIF in because they can't decode the sound to output it through the HDMI port. Many of the new videocards do the sound as well so the SPDIF isn't needed.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users