Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is the use of nLite legal?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:15 AM

Well, as the title says, I would like to know if it is legal to use nLite to add/change drivers in the XP installation files and then burn it back to CD. Of course, while using a legal copy of XP to begin with.
If not, what is the alternative for, lets say, SATA-drivers (no floppy drive)?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

Well...I'll ask you a question that will provide the answer: Is it legal to burn a copy of an XP install CD?

Of course it is...it's the license to use that operating system that is important, not the media that carries the files. As long as there is a valid license used with any CD...to actually do the install...there is no question of legality.

You can have umpteen different versions of XP install CDs...but, without a valid license, that install will not succeed.

The same principle applies at all times: One license, one XP install on a system.

All nLite does...is allow users to edit the files which go into the install CD...no impact at all on the license (which is the legal aspect of user relationships with Microsoft).

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

Long ago and far away Microsoft tried to stop people from copying their install media, it went to court and was decided that you were allowed a backup copy.

Then during the W2k days, computers running W2k with sp4 started crashing and not rebooting when the original CD was used as a repair disk

Microsoft developed slipstreaming for system adminstartors to use so that computers could be repaired without going back to pre service pack days.

Nlite just automates that process and actually saves Microsoft a lot of grief.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Louis and Chewy!
Then another question, If I have my XP-CD and a friend has had one but.... and still has the license key, can he/she use my CD with his/her license key (given it is the same version)? I know you can request a new CD, but it takes time and sometimes someone doesn't have a lot of time.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

Many times when a client doesn't have any install media, and their hard drive may have died, I use their numbers to fix their computer and my cd. A word of warning tho, there are several flavors of XP, each takes it's own numbers.

OEM, Upgrade, Retail
Home and Pro
and who knows what else.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,291 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Yes.

I use one MS XP CD...to install about 10 different systems I have purchased...but I have 10 different licenses, one for each.

The problem with giving a copy to someone else...

a. The version you provide must be the exact same as the version currently installed if the user wants to use the CD to run the sfc /scannow command...or do a repair install. It must be XP Home SP3 if the user has XP Home SP3 installed.

b. If the user intends to do a clean install...the version provided must match the license which said user has. XP Home for XP Home license...XP Pro for XP Pro license.

When we refer to "XP CD", we are not referring to any disk provided by a boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, eMachines, HP, etc.) as a "recovery disk" or a "restore disk." We are talking about the XP CDs sold to the general public as either OEM/System Builder or Retail or Upgrade versions. Each of these has all the files needed to properly install XP and nothing else.

Louis

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

Louis and Chewy, thanks again!

regards, Elise

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,291 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users