Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Beam57

Beam57

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

My computer will not boot. I get a message that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". Doesn't sound good to me... Can anybody help this rookie?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

What is the make and model of your computer?
What OS are you using (XP, 98, 2000)?
When is the last time you were able to use your computer?
Did anything change that could have caused this problem?

Do you have a boot disk that you could use to boot up your computer?

Edited by Joshuacat, 11 June 2005 - 12:12 PM.

JC

#3 Beam57

Beam57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

Sorry - not sure of everything you ask. Its a Pentium4 1.8Mhz I believe - no brand name. OS is XP Pro. I was using it and it locked up this AM. I was unable to do ctrl alt del to reboot so i just cycled power. I do not have a boot disk. I wanted to try and get intot he setup to make sure the proper drive was selected but can't remember how to do that.

thanks

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

I wanted to try and get intot he setup to make sure the proper drive was selected but can't remember how to do that

That's why I was fishing for the make and model of your computer. With some systems, it will tell you at start-up what key to click on to get into the system BIOS, or system set-up as you described.

With a lot of systems you can try the F1, or F2 key when your computer is starting up.
If you have the system manual, it will also tell you how to get into the system set-up.

When you get in there, you want to make sure that the hard drive is detected, and the boot order is correct. Sometimes it's hard to tell...

You could also create a boot disk from the following website.

Boot disk website

Good-luck and keep us posted.
JC

#5 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:36 PM

Many Compaq's boot to BIOS by tapping the F10 key. Good luck.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#6 Beam57

Beam57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 03:04 PM

It's the delete key to get into the setup. it looks like it detects the hard drive and the boot ordere is correct but just ain't happening. I tried the boot disk but it didn't work either.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

Beam57: Great, at least your BIOS is still seeing your drive. If not, I would have presumed that your drive might be dead. I think we still have some hope with this one.

I tried the boot disk but it didn't work either.

Ok, for the boot disk to work, the a:\, or diskette drive must be #1 in the boot order.
Otherwise, it will try to boot-up with the device that is highest in the boot order. This would most likely be your hard disk. Of course your hard disk is not booting right now, so it will not work.

You need to go back in the system start-up and change the boot order so that the a:\ or diskette drive is #1 in the boot order.

Make sure that the hard disk is #2 in the boot order.
Also, make sure there are no CD/DVDs in your CD/DVD drive.

The disk that you downloaded was for XP, right?
:thumbsup:
JC

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

If what I explained above doesn't work, do you have the XP installation CD?
JC

#9 Beam57

Beam57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:13 PM

I did change the boot order and it didn't make any difference. yes, it is the XP boot disk. I should have the XP installation disk. Do I basically need to re-install Windows?

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

Do I basically need to re-install Windows?

You could re-install XP over top of your current installation.
However, there are a few more things that you could try if you feel up to it, and you are willing to take a little more time.

There is a Recovery mode in XP that allows you to run command line utilities to get XP up and running again. It is called the recovery console. You need to change your boot order again so that the CD drive is your 1st boot drive and follow the instructions I found below:

Boot into the Recovery Console by following these steps:
  • Insert the Windows CD and restart your computer. Follow your computer's prompts to boot from the CD. (You might need to adjust settings in the computer's BIOS to enable the option to boot from a CD.)
  • Follow the setup prompts to load the basic Windows startup files. At the Welcome To Setup screen press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • Enter the number of the Windows installation you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted, type the Administrator password. If you're using the Recovery Console on a system running Windows XP Home Edition, this password is blank by default, so just press Enter.
The 1st command that you want to run is the CHKDSK command, as follows:

chkdsk c: /r

after that is finished run this command:

fixboot c:

after that is finished run this command:

fixmbr c:

Take note of any warning and messages. Reboot(with hard disk #1 in the boot order and the CD removed from your drive) and see if that fixed your problem.

Here's the website explaining more about the recovery console if you are really interested:

Recovery Console

Post back with the result. As I mentioned, if you want to set-up XP over top of your current installation you could follow the steps in this website:

Re-install XP

Keep us posted. Good-luck. :thumbsup:
JC

#11 knexkid

knexkid

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:31 AM

Have the computer boot to the XP disk. Then reinstall windows. It is a pain the ass, but if worst comes to worst, thats what you will have to do. If you just reinstall windows, all your stuff will still be on the drive.

#12 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:44 PM

Dear Beam,

It really could be more simple than you think.

How old is the computer?

It could very well be a loose cable or plug. Or just dirty!

How computer savvy are you? It doesn't take an expert to check your internal computer connections but you do have to be careful.

First, turn off computer and pull the power plug. Next, remove the side panel or top panel depending.

What you are looking for is anything that is dusty or dirty. Before you touch anything inside you MUST GROUND YOURSELF!!

This simply can be done by touching a metal object attached to ground or have an ESD wrist strap. Anything like a metal radio housing or say a desk lamp that is plugged in. As long as you can transfer any static electricity off of you.

Now you are ready to unplug and replug (re-seat) all connections inside your computer.

I would start with the hard drives. They are easy to spot, they are about 3X5X1 in size and will be attached by a ribbon cable or such. Gently disconnect the ribbon cable and reattach.

Next, check your RAM. These are a little tricky. They are attached by clips to the motherboard. Use two hands, push the side clips down and out. The memory should detach itself. Try not to touch the copper pads. Re-seat the memory by putting back in the same slot and gently pushing down using two hands at the same sides as the mother board clips. It should snap back in place.

If you do not have a source for air cleaning you can purchase canned air to clean all the dust off the components. Rubbing alcohol will work but Isopropanol is better if you find some corrosion.

Now, you will see all sorts of plugs going to all sorts of places. Look at each plug, some have clips that need to be engaged before taken off.

That should get you started. If you have PCI cards the same should be applied as well. A clean computer is a happy computer. :thumbsup:

I will help you in any process and its best to ask before you do anything you don't know.

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:

Edited by junkdk, 14 June 2005 - 11:46 PM.

Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users