Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New pc, no audio. Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Derrek

Derrek

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

Hey there,

I just bought a custom built pc without an OS. Once I got it I installed Vista Ultimate 32 bit. This is the first time I've ever had to actually set up an OS on a system and install all the drivers. As far as I can tell, I've got everything installed correctly, but I have no sound. Looking at the device manager, I'm not showing anything amiss. I am using the audio from the main board, not a separate sound card.

What seems strange to me is that there are 2 playback devices listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, as well as when I right click on the volume control in the task bar. The 2 listed are High Definition Audio Device and NVIDIA HDMI Audio Device. I don't know why there's an NVIDIA device listed since the sound on my mobo should be Realtek. I've tried uninstalling both and restarting to let windows try to autodetect them, which just did the same thing. I've also tried updating the drivers from the ASUS website, which also didn't work. And yes, I've checked to make sure the connections aren't loose. I've also tried different audio ports on the back of the pc, and I've tried speakers and head phones. Here's info about the hardware that I have installed.

Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM (7050PV 2RAM 256M-VID SND LAN RAID)
CPU: Athlon X2 6000 AM2 Dual-Core (3.1GHz 1280k 2000FSB 125w)
RAM Memory: 4GB 800MHz (2X-2GB) DDR2 PC6400 RAM
Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM SATA2 HDD
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9400GT 1GB DDR2 128-Bit PCIe
Power Supply: Okia 550W BASIC LOAD

I'm pretty sure the correct audio for this is ALC662 High Definition Audio 6 -Channel CODEC by Realtek, so why it's showing up Nvidia is beyond me.

Thanks for helping!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bouken Red

Bouken Red

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

how is your computer now?

If you are using 6 channel Soundcard there are chances that the speaker port will be assign on a different sound port.
also try to click on Run and type DXDIAG and check for the Sound tab and you will have the option to Test the sound

Hope that your computer will be fixed asap btw your spec is awesome.
Bouken Red

#3 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:01 AM

try looking for the most uptodate driver for your sound card download it and install in manually.

#4 Derrek

Derrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I've tried both those things and a few others to boot. I came to the conclusion that either I had a faulty mobo or I was missing something really obvious. I decided to just buy a cheap sound card to stick in there, so now I've got sound. Guess I could have shipped it off to let the builder check it out, but not really worth the aggravation of being w/out a pc.

Thanks about the specs by the way. Got a good deal on Ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users