Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ERROR -> c:\WINDOWS\system32\MSWMDM.dll is not a valid Windows image

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lukin922

Lukin922

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

I get the following error message when I attempt to start WinAmp.exe (Version 5.551).

"The application or dll c:\WINDOWS\system32\MSWMDM.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

If I click OK, WinAmp starts and functions normal. I read about a possible back door trojan that may be causing this error message.

I ran Vundo, but nothing came back infected.

I am a complete novice, so I could use some help in determining the cause of the error as well as step by step instructions as to correcting the error or providing additional information. I'm not sure if this error is related to the computer freezing up and occasionally restarting. I'm almost to the point of re-installing Windows to increase the performance as the computer worked much better previously.

My computer is

W3410
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
3200+
2.19 GHz, 1.87 GB of RAM

Running Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

I've downloaded ComboFix but haven't run it since I don't know exactly what I'm doing at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

MSWMDM.dll, http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/dll/1...-Mswmdmdll.html

What version of WMP do you have installed?

Have you tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling same?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users