Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Inspector

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lmbee59

lmbee59

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

when I got ready to apply the list of stuff that I unchecked from the list, I got an error message saying

"failed to set data for Avast"

what is that supposed to mean?

is my antivirus app blocking it or do I need to set up the data for Avast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmbee59

lmbee59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

maybe I should uninstall SI and use another application, or replace Avast with AVG?

anyone have an idea what's tripping up this error? I've googled the error message and it only brings up two (yes, TWO) results.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

My guess would be that you are trying to end a process that you really should not
Have you researched all of the entries that you want to remove from startup?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 lmbee59

lmbee59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

My guess would be that you are trying to end a process that you really should not
Have you researched all of the entries that you want to remove from startup?

I followed the process to the letter and even used the red buttons as a guideline to keep or toss.
the "Apply" button was used after I unticked the boxes of programs I don't want.

it was when I got this error.

I wondered if the programs I unticked was triggering that error...?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

I'm not familiar with that particular program. Do you mean to say that the program tells you whether it's safe or not to disable?
I wouldn't trust that. I'd rather do my own research on the net
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hello lmbee59,

Can you reverse what you did with Startup Inspector? Doing so might solve your problem.

Then, when using Start-up inspector, check each entry against our Startup list here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

It is important to note the full file path as that makes a big difference in just what a file is.

Another thing to note is that if it is possible to block a start-up from within the program that is the best method to follow. Use third party software for this only if that is not possible.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users