Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adverse laptop behaviors: Slow internet speed, Youtube videos pausing, Internet will not work when antivirus program is on, cannot access itunes store

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ourladyvictory

ourladyvictory

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Thank you for taking the time to read my request.

I purchased an HP entertainment laptop (windows vista os) about a year ago and I started experiencing problems with my speed a couple of months ago.

Most recently, I've experienced the following:

1. Slower speed surfing the net
2. Slow to open up an Internet Window (about 8 seconds)
3. Can not browse internet at the same time that an anti virus program is turned on (to monitor). Has occured with Norton and Trend Micro.
4. Can no longer access I-Tunes store or Rhapsody store when I open the applications.
5. You Tube videos are stop and go instead of running fluidly.

All of this is new behavior for my laptop...

Any ideas on what may be happening or what I should try to do next? I downloaded hijackthis, so I have that software program on my computer.

If anyone is willing to help, I would greatly appreciate it! Please let me know if you need additional information.

Many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

Can not browse internet at the same time that an anti virus program is turned on (to monitor).

It is best to do a virus scan when the computer is not in use otherwise.

If you suspect that you are infected, I would recommend posting in our Am I Infected? forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ourladyvictory

ourladyvictory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

I'm sorry, I was not clear. The anti-virus software will scan my computer for viruses (and does so without having any other applications open). However, when it is done, I leave it on to monitor when I go on IE and then I am unable to access IE. When I turn the program off, then I am able to use IE. So frustrating...wondering if there are registry issues.

Thanks for your advice!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:00 AM

I would suspect that this is a virus issue - and would further suggest that you follow garmanma's advice to post in the Am I Infected forum.

You can further test your system with these free, online scans to see if your current protection has been corrupted: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

BTW - surfing the internet without having the protection turned on is a sure way to get infected.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users