Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help reattaching heatsink to mobo

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 black sunshine

black sunshine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

My pc shutdown so I opened it up to find the heatsink sitting on the videocard. Now, there are four hooks attached to each corner of the motherboard where the heatsink sits but I only have two "arms" on the heatsink itself but it looks like that's how it was meant to be so I'm not concerned about that. My problem is that one of the hooks is missing and I haven't found it loose anywhere in the case.

I can't afford to just take my pc into a repair shop and have them fix it so I'm hoping to find an option that I can do myself. I've already done some research and from what I've read so far, it's my understanding that Arctic 5 thermal adhesive will help me "permanently" set the heatsink back on the board. I'm also led to believe that the arms and hooks, on the mobo and heatsink respectively, close a circuit that allows the pc to boot up. If this circuit isn't closed then the pc won't start up to protect it from overheating. Am I completely wrong about this?

How would I go about trying to find a replacement hook? could I try to rig something or does it have to be the exact same thing? If so, could I pop out one of the two hooks on the board that I'm not using or would that just present another problem?

I'm generally thinking that I could just hopefully rig something with the hook, possibly even bending the arm on the heatsink to touch the board easier, then use the Arctic adhesive to keep the heatsink attached to the board.

I'm not amazing with computers but I'm not lazy and have already spent quite a few hours trying to find a solution to my problem. I can't solder but my father can possibly help with that if it's needed. I've included a few pictures so you can get a better representation of what I'm faced with. I'm sorry for the long post but I'd really appreciate any insight or advice any of you can give me.

Thank you in advance

ps: To the best of my knowledge, the motherboard in question is an Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz with 800MHz Bus on a i865G Based Motherboard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

I'm also led to believe that the arms and hooks, on the mobo and heatsink respectively, close a circuit that allows the pc to boot up. If this circuit isn't closed then the pc won't start up

I've never heard that one before
I can't tell the socket type from the pic., what make/model is the motherboard?
I have used the adhesive before and it is permanent all by itself
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 black sunshine

black sunshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

I'm also led to believe that the arms and hooks, on the mobo and heatsink respectively, close a circuit that allows the pc to boot up. If this circuit isn't closed then the pc won't start up

I've never heard that one before
I can't tell the socket type from the pic., what make/model is the motherboard?
I have used the adhesive before and it is permanent all by itself

Since I can't boot up the pc I can only go by what I see on the board itself. I do see "P4SD - LA" written in large type on the board. I'm assuming that's it. Then again, I could be wrong. I know it's a stock HP a250n if that helps at all.

As far as socket type, are you referring to the "hooks"?

I guess my biggest questions are:
1)Do I really need to connect the arms on the heatsink to the hooks on the board?

2)Can I hypothetically circumvent that entirely as long as I have a strong enough adhesive to keep the hs on the mobo?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

I dont think thats your CPU, from the pics Id say thats your northbridge, and the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU and the CPU heatsink. a P4 would need a MUCH larger heatsink and would not be that close to the video card. to replace that, Im pretty sure you would need both artic silver and a soldering Iron, and thats assuming the north bridge didn't fry. If its fried, youd have to replace the whole chip, and I think it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a new motherboard in that case. In fact, if it were me I think I would, because thats some tediouse work when ones not even sure it will work, and whats that on the bottom of the chip? on the pic it almost looks like a burn mark, hard to tell from the pic, it might just be the old thermal interface fluid.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

I just looked up that particular board, its an ASUS board put into HP/compaq computers, and that is indeed the northbridge.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

"there are four hooks attached to each corner of the motherboard where the heatsink sits but I only have two "arms" on the heatsink itself but it looks like that's how it was meant to be

. My problem is that one of the hooks is missing"

It sounds like you are describing a Socket 478 setup .

You need a new Heatsink retention bracket.

There are 4 pins that hold it to the motherboard.
If you look at the inside of each corner you should see a whit dot.
That dot is the top of the pin
You have to carefully take a small flat blade screwdriver & pry the pins up by getting the screwdriver bade under the pin caps
When the pins are raised up enough take a pair of needlenose pliers & pull the pins all the way out
You should then be able to gently pry up on the corners of the retenion braket to get it off.
Be VERY carteful not to damage the motherboard
snap the new retention bracket into the 4 holes on the motherboard & push the pins down in the holes .

The repair is a LOT easier with the motherboard out of the case becase you can get to the pins fron the bottom of the motherboard to push them out with a paper clip & push the bracket through the holes.

The only place I know to get a replacement Heatsink retention bracket [other then the one I have on my desk for reference during thios post is here,

http://search.ebay.com/Socket-478-retentio...insifQQsbrsrtZd

Go here for picture instruction on the retention bracket & heatsink,

http://support.intel.com/support/processor...b/CS-007989.htm

I don't recommend permanantly bonding the heatsink to the CPU.
If you ever need to remove the CPU you will not be able to get to the little lever & lift it up to release the CPU from the socket.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

All that post for nothing !

Glue the heatsink on the nortbridge chip with Thermal expoxy or stick it on with double sided Thermal tape.
[ I keep a supply of the double sided thermal tape just for that use.
NEVER use it on a CPU though]

Thermal tape,

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?h...8%26catref%3DC6
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

[quote name='fairjoeblue' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:40 PM' post='1184698']
"there are four hooks attached to each corner of the motherboard where the heatsink sits but I only have two "arms" on the heatsink itself but it looks like that's how it was meant to be

. My problem is that one of the hooks is missing"

It sounds like you are describing a Socket 478 setup .

actually if you look closely its not a socket 478 hes talking about here. that is a socket 478 but if you compare above photos with the photos of the actual motherboard (actually you can tell just by looking at the photos but heres the actual motherboard) http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00022505 that the chip pictured is actualy the north bridge and the heatsink to it, not the CPU.

picard5.jpg

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

To be 100% honest I'm so used to seeing ad pics I didn't pay any attention to the pics of the heatsink.
Had I not conditioned myself to ignore ad pictures I would have took time to look at them & realized it is a Nortbridge heatsink.

I really like this forum but the ads, especially those "pop up" ballons are annoying & distracting. :thumbsup:

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

yeah, I can totally understand that one. completly. lol I wouldnt have noticed either except the tiny pic of the heatsink looked waaay to small for a p4 so I took a closer look. that and I see you posted up the right fix for it afterwords so I think we posted it at the same time. lol :D

Edited by the_patriot09, 19 March 2009 - 10:51 PM.

picard5.jpg

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

I really like this forum but the ads, especially those "pop up" ballons are annoying & distracting.

If you are logged in, you should not see any ads
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 black sunshine

black sunshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how everything turns out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users