Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to replace McAfee, any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KARABATSOS

KARABATSOS

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Whats up everyone?
Alright, so heres the deal. McAfee is becoming a joke. Ive got comcast service and I get the McAfee security suites for free, so I thought it would be a good idea... let me tell ya', that was a terrible decision. It has been causing some issues with my computers ability to run certain games. I cant even turn the program off temporarily and all it is doing is eating up memory. (GRR!) Im pretty big on games and this is bumming me out. I am now ready to dump McAfee and its terrible service (customer and protection) but I dont want to leave my computer open to become a breeding ground of virtual bad guys. Ive got a few programs but I just want to know if there are any free programs out there that will protect my computer ... and not interfere with my games.

Here's what I've got other than McAfee:
Spybot S&D
A-squared free version (which I still have yet to use)
Mbam

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps contains alternatives to paid antivirus and firewall.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for one person may not work for someone else. It seems that McAfee doesn't play nice with your system. Some people have no issues with it or any other security program. The key is to find something that works for you and doesn't impact your system in a negative way.

When uninstalling McAfee, make sure you turn on the Windows firewall-it will give you some protection until you get another firewall installed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 March 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Well I really like ZoneAlarm av\fw. I have never tried their suite so I cannnot say anything about that but I love the av\fw. One thing it sounds like you might like about it is it has a game mode that stops updates or anything else from happening that could interrupt your game. I have never used it but the option is there when I right click on its icon in the system tray.

I also have Comcast and could get McAfee for free, but no how, no way, will I give up my Zonealarm.

OOOOPPPS, I guess nevermind is in order here. Until I read the post by Papakid, which caused me to reread the original post, I missed that you were looking for free products, sorry about that, just disregard my post unless you want to pay for the protection.

Edited by Stang777, 19 March 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

Well I really like ZoneAlarm av\fw. I have never tried their suite so I cannnot say anything about that but I love the av\fw.

Stang777, ZoneAlarm's AV has never been free that I recall--there may have been some promotional deals but they didn't last very long. When they first began offering an AV they contracted with Kaspersky, so I agree that it should be a good AV, but the only thing ZoneAlarm offers for free is the basic firewall.
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/co...re-software.htm

I'm also a bit confused that you say you haven't tried the suite, but to my mind if any product is more than just a firewall or just an AV, then it's a suite. Perhaps you were thinking of the Extreme Security Suite shown in the link above? Anyway, as a rule of thumb, if it is a suite, then it isn't free. As another example, you can get a freeware version of AVG AV, but there is a paid version and if you want to get the suite that includes a firewall and other tools, then you have to pay for it. Most security vendors are going to suites now, but to get freeware you still have to mix and match AV's and firewalls--and some anti-malwares.

KARABATSOS, on the page Queen-Evie has linked you to, the big three as far as free AV's are as follows:

Avira AntiVir
AVAST
AVG

The free version of Bit Defender does not offer real time/on access protection, which is the main reason to install an AV in the first place. ClamWin is the same way--it may detect and remove infections, but it won't prevent them.

There are a couple of newer freeware out that I haven't tried yet: PCTools and Comodo--and maybe a couple others. Personally I've settled in with AntiVir and don't feel a need to test others at the moment.

Here's what I've got other than McAfee:
Spybot S&D
A-squared free version (which I still have yet to use)
Mbam

Of those the only one I would keep is MBAM. Spybot's effectiveness has been replaced by many AV's now--and pretty much the same is true of A-squared--I never was a big fan of the program and it has a higher than normal rate of false positives.

Most of the infections out there now that don't require special effort or removal tools can be covered by the following:

A good antivirus--I prefer AnitVir
SuperAnitSpyware
MBAM

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

You are right Papakid about ZoneAlarm av\fw not being free, I missed that the op was looking for a free product.

As to the av\fw combo of ZoneAlarm, Zonealarm does not call that a suite. They have two suites out but as you can see if you click the link below, the do not call what I use a suite. The product I use is the second one down in the second column and they just call it ZoneAlarm Antivirus and in the description it says Award Winning Antivirus PLUS #1 Firewall. I always thought that most suites not only included av and fw but also spyware tools and other things not included in normal av\fw combos.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en/compu...tm?cid=W1000281

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

Karabatsos, I realize you asked about free products, but I feel I need to add this.
IF you decide you want to purchase a program, go to the website for that product.
See if it has a trial offer-most of them do have a 30 day trial period. These trials are fully functional.
Install the trial. Evaluate it. Does it work well with your system? Does it bog it down?
Is it user-friendly? Is it easy to configure? Does it offer support?
Don't like it? Try something else.
It won't take you long to decide if it's something you want to purchase.
And if you do decide to purchase, wait until the trial period is almost over.
You may be offered a discount for the program.

If something is going to impact your system in a negative way, it's better to find out
BEFORE you pay for it.

.At one point last year I had the full Comodo suite (which is free).
Used it for a few months, got used to it, and one day had a problem with something. I can't recall
exactly what the problem was, but spent hours trying to figure it out. As a last resort, I uninstalled
Comodo and the problem went away. Maybe one day I will reinstall Comodo just to see what happens.

Edit to add: after uninstalling McAfee, run the McAfee removal tool to get rid of any traces left behind.

You can find it HERE: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

After Comodo, I reinstalled Zone Alarm and AVG. Both worked well, but a new version of AVG would not automatically update. I had to do it manually and I would forget to do it. I don't want to jump through hoops to use a program, so I decided to switch to Avira Antivir.

Another thing I'd like to bring to your attention is the Comcast Help Forum, which is for Comcast customers only.
Since I have no way of knowing if you have already discovered the forum, I would like to invite you to post there if you have any issues specific to Comcast. There are forums for Internet (which includes Comcast email, which may come in handy if you have been migrated to SmartZone and don't use an email client, Security and Antivirus, Connection), Cable TV, Comcast Digital Voice, Billing, and Forums Feedback which includes sub forum Customer Service. It's primarily user-to-user, but there are some wonderful Comcast employees who are admins and they will intervene on behalf of the customer if neccessary.
To save you from the convoluted way to get to the forums: click this link. Comcast Help Forums You will be taken to the sign in page.
After signing in, a page will open asking you to choose a user name for the forum. After it's set up, you'll be taken to the forum main page. Take a look at the different forums.
If you want to get back to them easily, bookmark/add to favorites the main page. Using the bookmark will open the log in page, then take you directly to the forums.

(I did ask the BC admins if I was allowed to mention the CHF and was told it is ok to do so)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 March 2009 - 12:36 AM.

#7 KARABATSOS

KARABATSOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, you were more than helpful! I think I've settled on AVG for now... we'll see if it plays nice. Queen-Evie, thanks for the McAfee tool tip, I most certainly used it to clearout the leftovers and it did the job. Papakid, I'll try out AntiVir and see how I like it, thanks for the input. Stang777 thanks to you as well, I appreciate the ideas.

You guys rock. Take it easy. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users