Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is my Backup-file?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Willem27

Willem27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hi there,
- I just bought a new simple laptop, a Lenovo R61e.
- I made all the changes I wanted to make before working on it.
- In case of a future crash or harddisk-failure, I made a backup using the Lenovo software: 'rescue and recovery'. I prefer using such a backup over the factory-recovery (which is in a hidden corner of the harddisk) because it usually takes me half a day to make the system as I want it to be.
My plan was to move the backup-file to an external medium, just to have a healthy backup in case the harddisk stops functioning.

While making the backup using the Lenovo 'rescue and recovery'-software the only place allowed to save the files was on the harddisk.

But now I want to move the backup-files to an external medium: I cannot find the files on the harddisk.
Using Lenovo-backup software, and using the 'rescue and recovery'-software I can see that there is a backup available of 14 Gb.
Besides that I can see the available free space on C shrunk with 14 Gb.

I tried a few things but nothing worked.
Besides that I booted the laptop from a CD, which loads WindowsXP in a RAM-disk, so the actual harddisk is not used: C was not visible, so obviously Lenovo has made an effort to hide the harddisk.
At this moment I don't want to make a second backup in a different way, because the new backup wil make a backup of a 14Gb backup as wel.

How can I locate the backup-files??

Who has a sound advise, please

Thanks, Willem27

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

You might try...reading your user manual...for your computer.

If no joy, then I would try the website of the system manufacturer.

Louis

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

Did the file have an extension? Like .tib or .gho? If you start it again (but you don't have to finish it) you may be able to see the extension it saves under.

Then, do a search for *.gho or *.tib, or whatever. But use the * (asterisk) because it is a wildcard.

As hamluis said, check your manual. It may list the extension in there as well. I was just browsing through the manual for Rescue And Recovery and the file extension there looks to be .PQI, so search for *.pqi files.

Good luck.

DR

PS: I think we are assuming you can see Hidden and System Folders, no?

Edited by rigacci, 20 March 2009 - 12:46 PM.

#4 Willem27

Willem27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Thanks, I will search for *.pqi files; and yes I searched in 'hidden files/system folders'.

I'll let you know

Willem

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users