Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something To Know About Our Electronic Technology

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Just forwarded to my email box by my Dad, Just a couple of real stories about GPS and Mobile Phones and what could happen if you lose them or if they are stolen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This gives us something to think about with all our new electronic technology.

If the GPS thing doesn't apply to you, read on for the mobile phone warning.

GPS (IMPORTANT) - PLEASE READ !!!

GPS
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had their car broken into while they were at a football match.
Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans.
Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen.

The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean up the house.

It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

MOBILE PHONE
I never thought of this.......

This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her mobile phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet... etc... was stolen.
20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says 'I received your text asking about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago.'

When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

Moral of the lesson:

Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list.

Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc.... And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.

Also, when you're being text by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

so i.c.e (in case of emergency) would be in the category like hubby?

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

Had the people whose car was broken into been smart enough to lock the door leading from the garage to the house, their house would not have been broken into. I cannot beleive how many people are still naive enough to believe that door does not need to be locked at all times. It is easy enough for theives to get in using a different remote garage door opener, and has been happening for many years now, that people should know to lock that door. Also, using the GPS to find the home was not necessary, the home address is usually located right on the registration kept in the car.

It is also absurd that anyone would text their pin regardless of the message they received requesting them to do so. People just need to use a little common sense. I believe that having things in the phone like home, ice, etc., are good things to have in it. If your phone is lost or you are hurt, those entries can be very helpful. If the people in your life have any common sense, those entries cannot hurt you. If the people in your life do not have any common sense, then talk to them about what not to do when someone calls or sends them a text.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:05 AM

they may have locked it, in all honesty, most locks only keep honest people honest. even if they had locked it, all the thieves had to do was open the garage door, walk in, close it, and no one would see whatever method they chose of breaking in, whether by picking the lock or kicking it down, no one would have been the wiser. My question is, if they were going to the game why did they need directions back to their house. I suppose it coulda shown the route they took, but still, personally mighta been wiser to install it outta site, have a removable faceplate, or at least a better car alarm. lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:36 AM

Well, you are right about locks only keeping honest people out but still, why anyone would not lock that door is beyond me, and like I said, nobody would need to go to the trouble of taking the gps to find their home, the address is most likely on the registration in the glove box, which most people do not lock.

I do not believe the registration should have a persons address on it, it leads to too many problems. I learned the hard way to even take it out of the car when having the car serviced.

Another thing is, the stories in that email have been making the rounds for a while and there is no way to know if they are at all true. I am sure things like that do happen, but still, the email thing is pretty bogus.

#6 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

I believe that having things in the phone like home, ice, etc., are good things to have in it. If your phone is lost or you are hurt, those entries can be very helpful.

I have to agree they are handy things to have on your phone because I think the normal thing that happens here is that either a Policeman or Paramedic will look for a phone on the persons body if they are unconscious or not able to answer questions to relay news to the persons family if the person is injured.

My question is, if they were going to the game why did they need directions back to their house. I suppose it coulda shown the route they took, but still, personally mighta been wiser to install it outta site, have a removable faceplate, or at least a better car alarm. lol.

Yep that's what they tell you about most technology like that, to leave it out of site, even leaving the mounting part for the GPS on the Dashboard or Windscreen can invite thieves to try and break in, Not sure why they would need directions back though, the only thing I can think of is if they were Away fans around an 1 hours drive from where they lived.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

the thing is, there are jerks out there that are gonna steal stuff no matter how hard you try and stop them. You need to take some precautions, but theres only so much one can do and one shouldnt be an over paranoid freak over it, cuz its still not gonna stop someone if they really want to rob you.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

:thumbsup:

You are absosutely right, Mate.

This is a good example of how you mean I think?

We had a Works order to demolish a house and arrived at the Site to find that Electricity, Water and Sewerage had been disconnected and blocked off, no keys to the house were available at 7.00 am. Not to worry. At 10.30 am the Owner remembered that he had not left the keys and turned up on the Site to find over half the house demolished. He was astounded. "There is $20,000 of Security gear in that house, how did you possiblely get inside of it?"

I just pointed to the ladder leaning against the house leading up to where the roof used to be. "But what about the Alarms, they had Battery Back ups?" One of the Workers just smiled and held up a sledge hammer. "It diddn't squark for long, Mate"

I think everyone can see that if someone is really determined that entry into a house is quite easy for determined people.

:flowers:

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

America had a show where they would find these home owners who thought their houses were secure, they would set up cameras inside, take the owners to somewhere else to watch, and this guy would break in and steal everything of value. of course the guy picked the people by casing the neighborhood. most houses, even with high tech security, he was in within 5 minutes and out within a half hour with most of the valuables, no questions asked. of course, he returned everything, the point of the show was to show people how easy it was to break into houses and such. and these were high profile homes with security and all that, most houses all it involves is breaking out a back window or a quick lock pick. show up in a white van, maybe with something like plumber or locksmith on the side and no one knows the difference.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users