Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scanreg /fix

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

Heres a mystery scientist are still working on! LOL

I have 98se! Please! Please don't everyone be happy for me at the same time! I know, I know! Having 98se is like.............Well, never mind! I know that Keithuk is around here somewhere ready to take another broad side bow shot at me with his working 98se canon so lets just move along shall we! LOL :thumbsup: :flowers:

The other day I ran scanreg /fix and it did ok up to 83% then it stopped and a box popped up and said:

Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your windows drive. If that doesn't work then you will need to install windows to a new directory.

Now, what in the heck does that mean! :inlove: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

The other day I ran scanreg /fix and it did ok up to 83% then it stopped and a box popped up and said:

Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your windows drive. If that doesn't work then you will need to install windows to a new directory.

Well I've never tried a scanreg /fix I've always used scanreg /restore. I'm not sure what the fix is supposed to do apart from the obvious. I wonder if fix just uses the last backup where as restore gives you a selection of dates then you can choose from. Restore as always worked for me and I don't see any percentages as its doing it. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

scanreg/fix repairs any damaged portions of the registry, and optimizes it by rebuilding it without unused space.

Over time the file size of registry files increases and gets fragmented. when u create and delete registry keys, some blank spaces are left unsued in the registry files. this only increases the load time of windows. this command rebuilds the registry files thereby removing unused blank space.

#4 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Well I've never tried a scanreg /fix I've always used scanreg /restore. I'm not sure what the fix is supposed to do apart from the obvious. I wonder if fix just uses the last backup where as restore gives you a selection of dates then you can choose from. Restore as always worked for me and I don't see any percentages as its doing it. :thumbsup:

Now that you mention it, I remember I ran both, the restore and the fix. One had me choose from 4 or 5 options of restore dates. The other ran a scan as though it was rebuilding something. I have also read what romeo29 said and still I am left wondering why then was there a problem at 83% and how do I fix that. How would I move windows to a new directory so I can run scanreg /fix again and get a 100% fix without any problems?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

scanreg/fix copies registry files to temp location and then repairs/rebuilds them so u need some space. Plus it retains backups of exisitng registry files. How much space do you have free on your hard disk?

#6 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:18 AM

scanreg/fix copies registry files to temp location and then repairs/rebuilds them so u need some space. Plus it retains backups of exisitng registry files. How much space do you have free on your hard disk?

Computer specs

319mb ram
58% system resources free
windows-managed swap file on drive c (36302mb) free
available space on drive c: 36302 of 38152 (fat32)

#7 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

which way did they go! Which way did they go!

AAAAAAADDDDAAAAA :flowers: :thumbsup:

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

Now that you mention it, I remember I ran both, the restore and the fix. One had me choose from 4 or 5 options of restore dates. The other ran a scan as though it was rebuilding something. I have also read what romeo29 said and still I am left wondering why then was there a problem at 83% and how do I fix that. How would I move windows to a new directory so I can run scanreg /fix again and get a 100% fix without any problems?

dont just do a restore for no reson
what if you just installed a antivirus program and then restored the registry to before you install it
it would wreck you compuer
and the fix it thing is not needed but if you want to make your computer faster then do it and theres lots of programs that can do the same thing like norton system works and theirs some free programs

#9 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

dont just do a restore for no reson
what if you just installed a antivirus program and then restored the registry to before you install it
it would wreck you compuer
and the fix it thing is not needed but if you want to make your computer faster then do it and theres lots of programs that can do the same thing like norton system works and theirs some free programs

Ok, I hear that but it still doesn't explain why there was a problem at 83% and how to move windows to a new directory. Do you know how to do that?????

#10 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:09 AM

copy and paste Lol
nah i dont know just dont worry about

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

You don't need to move Windows to a new directory, you need to run a Scandisk to look for and fix errors on your hard drive. Typically these errors will cause a program like Scanreg to hang when it encounters a problem area.

Description of Scandisk in Windows 98/Me

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

You don't need to move Windows to a new directory, you need to run a Scandisk to look for and fix errors on your hard drive. Typically these errors will cause a program like Scanreg to hang when it encounters a problem area.

Description of Scandisk in Windows 98/Me

Ok thanks! Well, then I'm cool because I ran a scan disk and it found nothing! :thumbsup:

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

Ok thanks! Well, then I'm cool because I ran a scan disk and it found nothing! :thumbsup:

Windows Scandisk or DOS Scandisk? DOS is quicker and more graphical. :flowers:

Keith

#14 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

Windows Scandisk or DOS Scandisk? DOS is quicker and more graphical. :flowers:

Windows scandisk! I don't know how to run scan disk in dos! Is it the same thing! Why would it be better to run it in dos?

Long live the queen! LOL

#15 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

Windows scandisk! I don't know how to run scan disk in dos! Is it the same thing! Why would it be better to run it in dos?

You don't know how to get to true DOS?

Start your computer up and keep the CTRL key pressed until you see the DOS menu with Safe Mode listed. Then select 5) Command Prompt Only at the C:\ just type Scandisk and run through all the normal checks then it will ask if you want to do a surface scan just ok and watch the screen if you are bored. Depending on the size of the drive my 20GB takes about 40 minutes for a full surface scan. I think you'll find that the DOS Scandisk is quicker that Windows just the same as DOS format for a floppy disk is. You can compare the differences if you want too. Put a floppy disk in that you want to format and use Run: Format A: and ok and time it. Then do a full format in Windows to see the time difference.

Thats assuming your main drive is C: if you have other drives in your system then you scandisk those as well just state the drive letter Scandisk E: :thumbsup:

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users