Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps freezing and wonīt allow me to open any programs.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Charleye123

Charleye123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hello,

My computer seems to have contracted some sort of virus. Iīm from California, but I am currently in Spain. My computer had the exact same problem last time I travelled out of the country for a length of time. Iīm running Vista on a Dell xps M1330. I took the computer to a repair place here and they told me that they would have to wipe my entire computer. Since I donīt have any of my installation disks and drivers with me, etc, I canīt really afford to do that. The last time my computer caught this virus, the person I took it to was able to fix it within a day and leave my programs and files intact. I am trying to see if I can fix it on my own in order to preserve all of my information and programs, etc.

A few days before it completely stopped working, my computer began to run slowly and I had difficulty opening programs like firefox, but eventually they opened. The last day that my computer worked at all really, I was able to open fewer and fewer programs. Finally, my computer started to freeze upon booting. I couldnīt open firefox, word, itunes, or even turn off the mute or open the start menu. Nothing happened when I clicked on the icons or tried to open them manually. I kept rebooting my computer, and then it would work normally for a few seconds and then go right back to freezing. I tried ctrl/alt/delete, but the computer screen just went black and a few minutes later I got a message saying that it was unable to open task manager and sent me back to the desktop.

Any suggestions? I would be grateful for any help. I really donīt want to lose all of my information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

So are you able to download anything? Do you have an internet connection? Can you get into Safe mode, using the F8 key?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Charleye123

Charleye123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

I can get a wireless signal, but every time I try to open the firefox browser, the computer puts up an hourglass and then does absolutely nothing. When I try to open in explorer, I just get a message saying that explorer doesnīt work. I can open in safe mode, but the problems are still there. I can open programs like itunes, all of a sudden, and I can install software and connect to the wireless to get updates, but I canīt actually open any browsers and itīs very frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users